Bonaire versus Hawaii?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AstridWilson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was thinking about Diving in Hawaii. My Husband and I have a big anniversary coming up in a few years. Will I be disappointed in Hawaii after Bonaire?

I was thinking about Diving in Hawaii. My Husband and I have a big anniversary coming up in a few years. Will I be disappointed in Hawaii after Bonaire?

You might be in Oahu. You probably won't in Kona, especially during whale season.

You have to understand that they are VERY different environments.

You're not going to be blown away by large sponges and corals.

The reefs are nice, but they're not "spectacular". You have to understand that you're looking at a grand "natural experiment" with putting a lump of lava in the middle of the ocean and see what shows up to colonize. Basically, an underwater Galapagos.

Some 20% of the species of fish and coral are endemic. Some families of Pacific tropical fish are absent, such as clown fish, because their planktonic larval stages are too short for any to reach Hawaii. A knowledge guide is crucial to critter spotting and understanding.

For instance, Kona has a black variant of the long nosed butterflyfish. The rest are all yellow. (Amazingly, when caught by aquarists, they switch back to yellow. F 'em!)

I've been to both and can't say that one is better than the other. But, then again, I enjoy diving for what is there, not what isn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawaii is definitely a little cooler. If you already have a full length 3mm suit, you could be fine by adding a lavacore or similar shirt underneath.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How cool is the water, thinking about going in September? I did not where a wet suit in Bonaire. Water Temps were 79 to 80 and I was fine without one.

Checking my log from December 2012, bottom temp was 76 to 77. A couple degrees do make a difference. At the time I was comfortable in my full 3/2mm with a Lavacore tee.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How cool is the water, thinking about going in September? I did not where a wet suit in Bonaire. Water Temps were 79 to 80 and I was fine without one.

You will need a wetsuit to dive comfortably here in Hawaii.

A 3mm full suit is fine for most folks, but 5mm is not overkill if you "chill" easily; my wife wears a 5mm, I wear a 3mm with a hood.

Water temps vary a bit depending on location in Hawaii, but are generally in the '70's F, not the 80's, except at the height of summer, end even then maybe 80 or 81 F I think.

As already mentioned, 2 or 3 degrees cooler makes a noticeable difference in comfort.

Hilo (where I live) has water temperatures ranging from a low of around 70 F in the winter to a high of about 75 F (but I've seen 69 F some winters here in Hilo).

Kona is generally warmer, with temps around 76 in the winter up to about 80 F in the summer I believe.

And if boat diving, be aware that you can get quite chilled between dives if there is a breeze.

Shore diving in Kona is great. There are interesting reef structures with walls, caves, pinnacles, etc., but Hawaii diving is mostly about the sea life. I've been told that Hawaii is "fishier" than the Caribbean; I do not know if this is true or not.

Have fun with whatever your decide!

You will need a wetsuit to dive comfortably here in Hawaii.

A 3mm full suit is fine for most folks, but 5mm is not overkill if you "chill" easily; my wife wears a 5mm, I wear a 3mm with a hood.

Water temps vary a bit depending on location in Hawaii, but are generally in the '70's F, not the 80's, except at the height of summer, end even then maybe 80 or 81 F I think.

As already mentioned, 2 or 3 degrees cooler makes a noticeable difference in comfort.

Hilo (where I live) has water temperatures ranging from a low of around 70 F in the winter to a high of about 75 F (but I've seen 69 F some winters here in Hilo).

Kona is generally warmer, with temps around 76 in the winter up to about 80 F in the summer I believe.

And if boat diving, be aware that you can get quite chilled between dives if there is a breeze.

Shore diving in Kona is great. There are interesting reef structures with walls, caves, pinnacles, etc., but Hawaii diving is mostly about the sea life. I've been told that Hawaii is "fishier" than the Caribbean; I do not know if this is true or not.

Have fun with whatever your decide!

Speaking only for Oahu, although I've found the same conditions during my limited diving on the other islands, thermal protection requirements vary here. But since that's more personal preference, I think knowing the local water temp and dive times is probably more helpful. From July-September seems to be some of the warmer water times, where even down to 100' or so things tend to be high 70s to low 80s and we're in mid 80s bath water on shallow dives. Feb-March or April is when I'm seeing mid 70s even at my 10' stops and break out the wetsuit (or drysuit for really long/deep runs).

I find dive trunks and a long sleeve/no hood Lavacore shirt sufficient for any one dive less than 1.5-2 hours unless it's right in the coldest part of the year, and find the same is true for rec two dive dips so long as I warm up on the SI...otherwise the second dive (which tends to be 60-70 min on an AL80 around here) can get a bit chilly. That said, I have a high metabolic rate and corresponding body temp. More than a few RB divers out here have converted to dry suits for all dives, a lot of the dive guides out here swear by their 7mm wetsuits, and 3mm-5mm suits seem to be pretty common amongst the tourists.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom