Bonaire's Future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a travel agent (20 years) so come from that background. As I see it the cruise ships can come but why not boutique lines with smaller numbers? 5500 people a day is mass tourism. Sure, it's only 20 times a year maybe but..I am greatly concerned.

Ann Phelan
www.bonairecaribbean.com

Actually, Bonaire does have an excellent sustainable growth plan in place.

Liz,
Can you please enlighten all of us as to this plan. If there was a plan we would not be having the conversation about cruise ships anchoring in Bonaire or any other of the disruptions that they will bring.

I will respond to other parts of your letter as I can calm down enough to do so.

Susan,

This plan is part an entire plan being developed for the entire island as well as a zoning plan, which I am sure, when it is ready (the zoning part is still being developed) will be available for all.

I am definitely in agreement as far as the "anchoring" of cruise ships, and feel that this should NOT be done. I believe growth is inevitable for Bonaire and that items need to be addressed as far as to reduce or eliminate the negative aspects as "sewage, traffic, etc., but anchoring should be a definite "no way, no discussion" issue.

My previous post is in regards to the impact the increase in cruise tourists would have on the island economy and locals. Once again, there are negatives that go along with the positives. I personally feel it would be a positive thing, with the right planning, IMHO.

Liz

I have been to Bonaire three times, staying at Harbour Village Beach Club each time. My average stay is 11 days, at around $450/night. Add dinners, rental truck, taxes, etc., and I estimate that I contribute about $6,000 per trip to the local economy. I will not vacation anywhere that I can feel the presence of cruise ships and their passengers.

I've come to Bonaire both ways (on a cruise ship and via plane) and can tell you that as long as you don't have any way for the cruise ship passengers to get around the island, and don't create any new attractions, everything will be fine.

You're omitting the staggering quantity of air and water pollution that most every cruise ship emits. Virtually no Caribbean nation enforces environmental standards, assuming said country has any regulations in the first place. Cruise ships top the charts for single-source pollution.

Also forgetting additional dredging activity necessary for most Caribbean ports to handle cruise ships. That's initial dredging, and periodic maintenance dredging.

And the inevitable (but rare) cruise ship groundings.

Cozumel is a poor example of an established cruise ship town. Geomorphological aspects for the island make it unusually forgiving regarding pollution effects.

A better example of a long-established cruise ship terminal would be the one at the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Susan,

This plan is part an entire plan being developed for the entire island as well as a zoning plan, which I am sure, when it is ready (the zoning part is still being developed) will be available for all.

I am definitely in agreement as far as the "anchoring" of cruise ships, and feel that this should NOT be done. I believe growth is inevitable for Bonaire and that items need to be addressed as far as to reduce or eliminate the negative aspects as "sewage, traffic, etc., but anchoring should be a definite "no way, no discussion" issue.

My previous post is in regards to the impact the increase in cruise tourists would have on the island economy and locals. Once again, there are negatives that go along with the positives. I personally feel it would be a positive thing, with the right planning, IMHO.

Liz

liz,
I am aware of a zoning plan but obviously not the one you are referencing. We will have to agree to disagree on this point. Debating what will happen as the referendum comes into play is not something either of us can do until it is written.

As far as the locals getting employment for cruise ships? I assume when you speak of locals you are talking about Antilleans. As a resident I know that I am not a local. I have not seen enough extra jobs created to bother tracking. This is the first year that I will not be working the cruise ship season so I do have enough experience in this to have an opinion. BTW, will the locals be able to shop in the upscale outlet stores?

I am still waiting for the plans to be unveiled. There is no discussion of how supplies and food are to get in when all the piers will be taken with cruise boats. The entire island is going to be disrupted by the influx of too many people, too much traffic, too much trash, too much sewage and effects that none of us can even begin to think about.

What are you going to tell your guests when all the activities they are here to do are booked up before they have a chance to enjoy the island? What about the masses of people at the public beach areas? I would hope you would want your guests to be able to enjoy a tranquil holiday. With 153,934 folks before crew and 96 ships I don't see that happening.

Liz, I cannot see how you think cruise ships will help the Antilleans and if you read your post carefully you actually make arguments that say the local people will NOT benefit! You state that cruise ship people do not eat at restaurants on an island -- no money to Bonaire there. You state that the island is trying to provide jobs for college level education positions -- can you please tell me which cruise related jobs those are?? You "expect" there will be some high end outlet stores on island -- which of the current stores will they replace? Bye bye local shop owners when those shops come in. And have you been to St John lately?? The town is a mess near the ferry dock, locals are forced out of jobs daily (I have a friend who is a native of St John so have first hand info). I am a long time visitor to Bonaire and in no way think that I should have a say over what happens on the island. I am however concerned about the environment and the people and really wonder who designed this "plan" you speak of so highly.

Back
Top Bottom