Bonaire's Future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems to me that the island should focus on the theft and other problems they are having for the people that come now, before make the problems worse by adding so many more people to the island. You could add mass tourist that do not have a good experience and drive away the divers.

It seems to me that the island should focus on the theft and other problems they are having for the people that come now, before make the problems worse by adding so many more people to the island. You could add mass tourist that do not have a good experience and drive away the divers.

Exactly! The police can't handle the crime problems as it is, so add thousands of extra people daily, and purse snatchings, muggings, etc., will increase as the theives will see even easier targets.

Its sad but inevitable the ships will arrive. They have worked very hard to preserve the Island and reefs beauty and I am confident they will go to extreme lengths to do so. I have faith in the Bonarians to police their gem of an Island ...

MNJ...where have you been my past few years...I've been looking for you...I have a beautiful bridge I want to sell you in Mojave...pm me please.

Just smell the air on any day that the Cruise Ships are in in Key West. It's enough to make you puke.

Just smell the air on any day that the Cruise Ships are in in Key West. It's enough to make you puke.

You sure it wasn't that 44oz mudslide from Sloppy Joes?. That always makes me puke.

A few comments on Liz's post, some of which may be repetitive. If there were an actual and considered sustainable growth plan in place, it seems to me that we would not be discussing cruise ships anchoring off Bonaire. The piers and dolphins would have been completed. They managed to get work done in time for the QM2, but now nothing seems to be getting done despite the long list of big ships coming this season, which says to me it is not a priority. As for trusting the government, I trust the people of Bonaire to do what is best for the island, but only if they have the information and the resources. This particular government, which was elected based on the change in status with Holland, is the same government that tried to develop the mangroves, for goodness sake!! And decided to let Divi build an all-inclusive (read: no $$ to locals) resort at Sunset Beach instead of a public park/beach. Rumors of selling off the island to developers for a little payola abound, and after the mangrove incient, I believe them. As for financial benefit to Antilleans from the cruise ships, see Annie's post about the companies benefitting. if I am not mistaken, not a single Antillean business owner, probably not even many Antilleans employed by these businesses. You'e not wrong about Bonaire trying to do the right thing. FORMA and other organizations do great work. But that does not mean there isn't still a lot for them to do. And the outrage of bread-and-butter tourists is a pretty good way to send a message.

I have a lot more to say but I am beginning to rant. Clearly time for me to go to bed. Oh, One more thing :) : As for fast-food, would that you were right, but since KFC is a huge fan with the locals, my guess is others would succeed as well--a detriment to the island in more ways than one.

Alex

al:
I have a lot more to say but I am beginning to rant. Clearly time for me to go to bed. Oh, One more thing :) : As for fast-food, would that you were right, but since KFC is a huge fan with the locals, my guess is others would succeed as well--a detriment to the island in more ways than one.

Alex

Alex,
Thank you for your voice of reason. I read over my post and it sounded a bit like I was screaming.

What most of us are looking for is a balance that will work well for the tourist and island dweller alike. The people used to come to town and be excited when the cruise ships came with less people, less often. Now they see the ship on the horizon and avoid town altogether planning their chores etc. for another day. This year the week days are pretty full. Yes, Bonaire is growing but there needs to be balance there too with the infrastructure to support the growth put in place Before the growth happens. Plans need to be realized before the growth happens. Sadly this is not the case currently with Bonaire.

Exactly Susan! I love the cruise ships coming to an extent..but not massive ships and 5500 people per day! It's outrageous. Let's bring in Windstar, Seabourn, Silverseas, Crystal..the high end ships with smaller numbers. Please PLEASE no Carnivals..lol...

One thing I want to address, the crime problem gently discussed here (and another topic if we can kindly separate the two ) is systemic across the Caribbean. Because of vehicles such at Bonaire Talk, the crime problem is right up front out there. It is a problem, for sure. But it is not isolated to Bonaire. I have lived and worked in another island who has had the same probs for at least 20 years. Anguilla has crime, Sint Maarten, phew...so my point is, yes Bonaire has petty crime ongoing. I am not privy to what the authorities are doing to rectify things BUT they way they have handled my client's cases(those who were victimized) were handled well. I cannot imagine what kind of crime cruise ship passengers may endure. Thankfully unlike Europe we have no pickpockets...

Ann Phelan
www.bonairecaribbean.com

You sure it wasn't that 44oz mudslide from Sloppy Joes?. That always makes me puke.
Quite sure, I have more of a local's view. I used to live there, my son was born there and I don't go back to spend time at Sloppy Joe's, but rather to help deal with the problems our best friend has as a result of A.L.S.

Back
Top Bottom