bone setting to improve equilization disorders

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My daughter learned SCUBA and could equalize fine, we even did some other dives without any problems equalizing, and they were without incident. Slowing she had problems equalizing her one ear and for the past 4 month could not equalizing the one ear at all. Now above water she is able to equalize and can't wait to get back in the water.

I was talking about a real virus not a user err virus. And as of right now I think my daughter had a real virus :D will we ever know for sure maybe not but she is better now. :bounce:

Finally got in the pool and ever thing work out great! My daughter could equalize in 12ft of water. She could not even equalize in 5-6ft of water before the chiropractor. We again can dive as a family.

I have been lurking on this board for about 4 months now and this topic is the one that is "bringing me out of the closet".
First, just a quick history about me. My family, friends and I went to Cozumel in early August for vacation. While there, I tried an intro to scuba course at the resort I was staying in. As everyone on this board has learned, diving is a fantastic hobby. I got so hooked on the intro course that my wife and I went back to the same resort two weeks later just to get our OW certification (I'm sure that will open a whole other can of worms!!).
The information I have learned on this board is tremendous and I applaud everyone for taking the time to share their experiences and knowledge.
Now to my point in posting. I was introduced to Chiropractic by my wife. When we first met, she asked me if I wanted to go with her to see her brother who is a doctor as she was having trouble with an ear ache. What I didn't know until we arrived at the doctors office was that he was a Chiropractor. Due to the fact that my family is heavily involved in the medical profession ( doctors, nurses, respiratory etc...) I was very skeptical, actually laughing on the inside. Short story even shorter, her pain immediately subsided after one treatment and by the next morning, all tenderness and fever was gone. My degree is in chemistry and response/reaction is always linked regardless of the catalyst.
Her immediate recovery was enough for me to wonder how this could have happened, especially by manipulation. Anyway, after lots of RESEARCH and by spending numerous days with her brother in his office, I was amazed by the results he was getting with all types of disorders. Most of his patients were people who were not getting results from "traditional" medicine. Arm, back, leg pain, bedwetting, ear infections, ulcers, high blood pressure, diabetes...you name it.
So, we can argue drugs vs. manipulation all day long but what cannot be argued is results. If it didn't work, then the profession would have died a long time ago yet the number of folks turning to chiropractic as a primary health care substitute is growing by the thousands every day. You can sell someone snake oil once, but never a second time if it doesn't work ...especially when you are talking about ones health.
Lastly, any statement about chiropractic being unsafe is totally ridiculous.....Want proof? Unbiased proof? Well, just for example, my old college roommate who is now a Chiropractor, pays about $1800.00 per year in liability insurance. My brother (MD), who has a family practice pays about $20,000. per year in insurance. So which method do you think is the safest? Believe me, if the chiropractic profession were unsafe, insurance would be unobtainable, much less 1/10 of the cost of the medical community ( of course, in medical specialities, the premiums are 2-3 times that amount).
IMHO
If you haven't spent four years in college studying it( not including four years of undergraduate), or at least even tried it, then don't comment, regardless of whether you are a doctor, nurse, painter, trashman etc...because, you simply don't know what you are talking about.
Oh, also, I am still certainly very much pro medicine. I can't begin imagining life without it. But it too has its place.

Thanks to everyone for a vastly entertaining debate. Although it became a bit lively at times, it never degenerated into an all-out brawl. :wink:

Page.crow, I have to say I'm sceptical about your claims and would need more than your enthusiastic endorsement to convince me. I suspect that anyone who was receiving protracted and personalised one-on-one instruction on how to equalise the ears would eventually succeed in doing so, with or without neck manipulation.

The whole notion strikes as a rather implausible. Could you please explain in a little more detail how it works? Which specific cranial nerves are you targetting, and given that the cranial nerves don't reside within the cervical spine, how does your neck manipulation affect them?

beche de mer once bubbled...
Thanks to everyone for a vastly entertaining debate. Although it became a bit lively at times, it never degenerated into an all-out brawl. :wink:

Page.crow, I have to say I'm sceptical about your claims and would need more than your enthusiastic endorsement to convince me. I suspect that anyone who was receiving protracted and personalised one-on-one instruction on how to equalise the ears would eventually succeed in doing so, with or without neck manipulation.

The whole notion strikes as a rather implausible. Could you please explain in a little more detail how it works? Which specific cranial nerves are you targetting, and given that the cranial nerves don't reside within the cervical spine, how does your neck manipulation affect them?

Wow, now we're talking...a real question that doesn't just criticize, it actually suggests an actual desire to learn or at least discuss something new. My hat is now off to you beche de mer. I will however, leave a respone to someone that is a doctor and not just another chemist...lol

russm once bubbled...

Wow, now we're talking...a real question that doesn't just criticize, it actually suggests an actual desire to learn or at least discuss something new.

Howdy russm:

Perhaps you didn't notice. I've asked Dr. Crow quite a few questions about his thus far unsupported claims about the "properly done, valid, and repeatable" research that support his assertions (research his own source suggests doesn't exist) because of my desire to learn more about it. He hasn't answered any of them yet. He has said that he "can't wait to respond" to me, but he's too busy rebuilding a hot rod engine. Maybe he'll be finished soon and we can all learn something. I'm still waiting.

Bill

...."If you haven't spent four years in college studying it( not including four years of undergraduate), or at least even tried it, then don't comment, regardless of whether you are a doctor, nurse, painter, trashman etc...because, you simply don't know what you are talking about," it seems that I'm precluded from further comment.

Or at least until I develop the kind of bona fide expertise that he has by having my girlfriend visit a chiropractor (no reason it should be capitalized, Russ) and engaging in "lots of RESEARCH" and "by spending numerous days" in a practioner's office.

Until then, best regards,

DocVikingo

PS: BillP--be patient while awaiting page.crow's response. You know how many adjustments those hot rod engines require.

DocVikingo once bubbled...
...."If you haven't spent four years in college studying it( not including four years of undergraduate), or at least even tried it, then don't comment, regardless of whether you are a doctor, nurse, painter, trashman etc...because, you simply don't know what you are talking about," it seems that I'm precluded from further comment.

Or at least until I develop the kind of bona fide expertise that he has by having my girlfriend visit a chiropractor (no reason it should be capitalized, Russ) and engaging in "lots of RESEARCH" and "by spending numerous days" in a practioner's office.

Until then, best regards,

DocVikingo

PS: BillP--be patient while awaiting page.crow's response. You know how many adjustments those hot rod engines require.

Hi DocVikingo,

Allow me to start by saying that I should have used the word "judge" instead of the word "comment" in my original post even though I'm sure you understood the point I was trying to make. My question is, why would someone judge or even comment negatively on something they know little or nothing about? Why would someone say apple pie tastes bad when they themself have never tasted one, Regardless of whether many others say they taste great?

Secondly, I never said I was an expert on chiropractic, so your "bona fide expertise " statement was cute. I did say however, that I have spent time in my brother-in-laws office and have personally seen the dramatic improvements that his patients receive. My comments come from a laypersons point of view and by someone who has "been there, done that". It is not difficult to pick up a book and learn about the different procceses or theories regarding chiropractic or how antibiotics fight illness. Again, as others have posted here, I simply spoke about the benefits that my family has received from a D.C.. I'm sorry that you feel threatened by the success rates of chiropractic doctors(otherwise, why the sarcastic remarks?)." Oh, and sorry to offend you with the capitalization of chiropractic. Didn't realize that it was really all that important either way (funny that you caught it though, guess I must have hit a nerve, no pun intended ).

Like I said earlier, the proofs in the pudding. If chiropractic was ineffective or dangerous, it would have died out long ago and liability/malpractice insurance would be unobtainable. When people die or get hurt, somebody sue's.......... Makes me wonder why medical malpractice is ten times that of chiropractic.

IMHO, knives and chemicals should be a last ( but sometimes necessary) resort. Otherwise, it's just too risky. If I get half my arm bitten off by a shark, then I'm paying a visit to my M.D.. If I have a headache or earache or literally in my case, high blood pressure ( which I no longer have without taking any drugs as I did before), then I'm paying a visit to my D.C. first.

russm once bubbled...

I did say however, that I have spent time in my brother-in-laws office and have personally seen the dramatic improvements that his patients receive. My comments come from a laypersons point of view and by someone who has "been there, done that". ....

That is how I have seen the results of my daughter, from a laypersons point of view and the result speaks. Some here seem to think they could have gotten my daughter to clear her ear with practice, time and technique. Some have assumed that I have not tried the different techniques with qualified scuba instructor’s well I have talk to several about her difficulties and they have tried. Not for hours but there have been a few that tried.

We went to our MD found nothing wrong. No infections no ear wax.

Went to our DC, 3 adjustments and 3 weeks later she could clear her ears.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom