Bonne Terre Mine Trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesK:if you are never going to dive it then why bad mouth Bonne Terre Mine.Yes,they do run a tight ship,they have to because of the wide variation of skill levels they see each year.The mine is 80 sq. miles with hundreds of miles of shoreline.The diving is worldclass.I have been diving at the mine for the past 6 years.If you follow their rules and pay your dues you are rewarded with exploratory dives into areas of the mine that have had no human contact since the mine shut down.There is nothing that can compare with Bonne Terre Mine.

I didn't really see this as bad-mouthing. I've never done BT and I'm sure its fantastic diving, but, I suspect like JamesK, I am not a huge fan of regimented diving and that is also a detraction for me. I understand why they do it, but it I can also understand why it would keep some people from diving there. When things are too controlled or contrived, like Disney World or Vegas, I get less interested, so I completely get where he's coming from. I like to dive where I can get away from that sort of thing. And I'm not bashing BT -- never been there and maybe the regimented procedures do not detract at all, but they do give me pause. I am, however, bashing Disney World and Vegas for those of you who care to come to their defense! :D

Anyway, I agree with the others -- very nice write-up, tajkd. Thanks for sharing.

I have heard a lot about this mine and it seems that the owners are a bit over protective about the divers and over cautious for their safety. I am thinking if there is no over head environment then is there a need for the regimented dives they do? My primary interest is in photographing the mine and I dont think the regimented follow the leader type approach lends itself too well for my purpose. I had totally given up on Bonne Terre when I heard that everyone does "follow the leader" but after this review I am thinking if it would be worth it.

I have heard a lot about this mine and it seems that the owners are a bit over protective about the divers and over cautious for their safety. I am thinking if there is no over head environment then is there a need for the regimented dives they do? My primary interest is in photographing the mine and I dont think the regimented follow the leader type approach lends itself too well for my purpose. I had totally given up on Bonne Terre when I heard that everyone does "follow the leader" but after this review I am thinking if it would be worth it.

There are sections that have no safe overhead to ascend to. I think it is well worth the visit, especially if you are interested in photographing the mine. You just have to follow the rules but you are actually given a fair amount of freedom as long as your skills are adequate.

You could shoot some great pictures on your first weekend of diving at the mine.Ore dumps,carts,tools and all kinds of odds and ends.The water is usually gin clear.Let me tell you about one of my favorite parts of the mine.I have been exploring an ore dump out past a room called The Redwood Forest Room.The room gets its name from the large pillars of rock that hold up the ceiling.The room is pitch black with just a faint hint of ambiant light that bleeds through from some distant light that filters through.I'm talking light so faint that you have to sit still with your light off for a minute just to make it out.We do our deco stop on a ledge that overlooks the Redwood Forest Room.I have sat there at least 10 different times and I still am in awe of the majesty of this room.You can't help but feel like you are looking out on an alien world.You won't see this site on your first weekend of diving but I think you will go to The Redwood Forest Room on trail 8.I now have 80 dives at the mine and the cool thing is its so vast you could spend a lifetime diving Bonne Terre Mine and never see it all.

You could shoot some great pictures on your first weekend of diving at the mine.Ore dumps,carts,tools and all kinds of odds and ends.The water is usually gin clear.Let me tell you about one of my favorite parts of the mine.I have been exploring an ore dump out past a room called The Redwood Forest Room.The room gets its name from the large pillars of rock that hold up the ceiling.The room is pitch black with just a faint hint of ambiant light that bleeds through from some distant light that filters through.I'm talking light so faint that you have to sit still with your light off for a minute just to make it out.We do our deco stop on a ledge that overlooks the Redwood Forest Room.I have sat there at least 10 different times and I still am in awe of the majesty of this room.You can't help but feel like you are looking out on an alien world.You won't see this site on your first weekend of diving but I think you will go to The Redwood Forest Room on trail 8.I now have 80 dives at the mine and the cool thing is its so vast you could spend a lifetime diving Bonne Terre Mine and never see it all.

I have always wanted to take extremely wide angle shots from as far away as possible. Furthermore I like to spend time hovering at one place while finding the shot. If its an underwater parade down there with dive master leading a tight pack and another dive master pushing you from the rear then that might not be possible.

Well written as your description makes it easy to understand, thank-you.

Nice write up! (Although I'm hoping you were really hovering and not sitting during your deco... ) :)

Seriously though - Bonne Terre Mine does have some impressive sights - and you do a good job portraying them.

Safe diving!

Bjorn

Glad you liked my description of The Redwood Forest Room.I might as well describe the ore dump we have been poking around for the past 3 or 4 times I have been to the mine.The top guides at the mine{who shall remain nameless,you know who you are} each have places in the mine that they have been past but have never got to explore.They have to be with a paying customer to go anywhere in the mine.The vast majority of divers don't go enough to get to the point of exploratory dives.I was the first "tourist" to explore this particular ore dump.To conserve air we rode the pontoon boat out past the structure.After a brief swim down a tunnel we dropped down a small canyon to the floor which was at 70' depth.After tying off we swam over to a hole in the floor and entered an ore dump that led us into an unexplored room at 95' depth.This room had obviously never seen any human contact.There was a thick layer of jelly like goo at least a foot thick everywhere,walls,floor,ceiling.Think marshmellow cream.This stuff is caused by the chemical reaction of the iron and other metals and the cold water.The room was approx. 100 ft. long and was filled with assorted junk.At the end of the room we entered a tunnel and ran the line another 300 ft.At this point we had reached our agreeded upon turn around 1/3 and we turned the dive.This happened to be at a junction where 3 tunnels intersected.We have since established these tunnels link up with tunnels that lead out of The City.Doing these kind of exploratory dives are what keeps me coming back to the mine.

There is nothing that can compare with Bonne Terre Mine.

You apparently haven't been in a Florida cave system! I've dove both and would definitely prefer the FL caves!

On a side note, I've been there right after getting my OW cert. Dive #5 for me was at the mine, and yes, my trim and buoyancy was all jacked up! I went with a group from my local dive shop, so everyone in our guided dive were people we all knew. That made a HUGE difference!!!!! We made 4 dives that way, and our 5th dive, some of our group didn't want to go, so we merged with another group. That was a horrible dive. They all had lights, the people from my shop didn't, and I was blinded several times and kicked several times. Apparently the light rule varies from guide to guide. Overall, a good experience though.

There is no doubt that I would love the florida caves.I think the thing I like about the mine is that it was carved out by man.Some was done by hand using sledgehammers,handheld drills and tnt.There is so much history to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom