Book on History of Diving/SCUBA Development?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krukster86

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all!

I had a nerdgasm at the History of Diving Museum in the Florida Keys and I loved reading the (IMO all too short!) chapter on the development of the the SCUBA in Neutral Buoyancy. Is there a dedicated book out there that delves deeply into man's attempts to develop equipment to explore the depths? I would love something that goes back to ancient days and continues to the present.

Thank you in advance!

For sheer encylopedic depth it's hard to beat Deep Diving and Submarine Operations - A Manual for Deep Sea Divers and Compressed Air Workers by Sir Robert H. Davis, which has been through about nine editions since a first version was published a century ago. It's also a delight to read (and somewhat of a rarity, but libraries have it). I would also recommend that you check out back issues of The Journal of Diving History, the official publication of the Historical Diving Society USA, HDS Australia and Southeast Asia, HDS Canada, HDS Germany and HDS Mexico, which has been published several times a year for the past 20 years. My own new book, SEALAB, connects some historical dots, too, especially with respect to the development of saturation diving - and I certainly learned a lot from both Davis and the Journal (formerly Historical Diver Magazine), as is probably evident from my book's endnotes. . .

For sheer encylopedic depth it's hard to beat Deep Diving and Submarine Operations - A Manual for Deep Sea Divers and Compressed Air Workers by Sir Robert H. Davis, which has been through about nine editions since a first version was published a century ago. It's also a delight to read (and somewhat of a rarity, but libraries have it). I would also recommend that you check out back issues of The Journal of Diving History, the official publication of the Historical Diving Society USA, HDS Australia and Southeast Asia, HDS Canada, HDS Germany and HDS Mexico, which has been published several times a year for the past 20 years. My own new book, SEALAB, connects some historical dots, too, especially with respect to the development of saturation diving - and I certainly learned a lot from both Davis and the Journal (formerly Historical Diver Magazine), as is probably evident from my book's endnotes. . .

Bought the Kindle version of SEALAB just now - thanks! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom