Book recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Inspector#2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anybody in this huge pool of knowlege have any recommendations for books dealing with public safety diving and recovery (objects and people) operations. We have great teams around the local area but in remote bodies of water very few agencies will spend large amounts of time searching. That is where the volunteers come in but funding for PSD schools is extremely limited and I don't want to die doing this.

Thanks for any help,

Dave

I don't know of any books on the subject right off hand but as far as funding goes a group of divers around this area got with the local sheriff's department .the sheriffs department would fund the group BUT they had to come up with thier own insurance.So what they did then was got with the local volunteer fire department which had the insurance need at no cost because they joined the fire department.All they have to do now is go through 4 hours of training a month or department meetings .Usually one hour a week something like that.They hold search and rescue training once a month at different lakes and rivers for training.The sheriffs department supplies all gear and fundings for the group.This maybe something to look at .Hope this helped.

The local departments are very cliqueish and don't like to admit non full time members to their teams. The county that needs us the most is the poorest in the state and relies primarily on reserves for most public safety operations ie. police, fire, and medical.
I will go and get some face time and see if this will work. At least they will know we are here.

Thanks for the idea,

Dave

I would certainly check out Dive rescue international in Fort Collins colorado for any Public Safety diving. I am currently trained in PS Diving by them and found their teaching to be invaluable, even after doing commercial diving and sport diving for years. You can do a search on the web for their website(I know they have one)=-)

Try Lifeguard Systems at http://www.teamlgs.com
Public Safety Diving Book

By Andrea Zaferes & Walt "Butch" Hendrick of LifeGuard Systems.

This book is written for Instructors, dive team captains, surface support teams, and underwater personnel. Features how to form and equip a public safety dive team, effective search patterns and techniques, contingency procedures, operating in black water and contaminated water, evidence recovery, and much more.
Picture of the book you can find at http://www.delfin-uw.com/newpage1.htm

Public Safety Diving book

Did you get the book from Lifeguard systams site?

No. I could get to the ordering but at checkout it wouldn't let me sign up as a new customer. It may be our system at work due to the firewalls. Found it at Allbooks.com and was able to buy it from, OK this will crack you up, Walmart!

Dave

I see. Well, as long as you were able to get it. There's good stuff there for public safety diving.

Back
Top Bottom