Booked my first Live-Aboard!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diving4ever

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

Just wanted to say thank you for all the informative posts and trip reports about Belize diving and the Aggressor LoBs.

As part of my commitment to diving MORE in 2016, I just booked my first liveaboard on the Aggressor IV (formerly Sundancer II). It's a 10 day trip in early September. Still lots of cabins available if anyone is interested...its 10 days of diving for the price of 7. I am probably a little too excited about this trip for someone north of 40.

I'm working my way through all the posts; including what to pack for a liveaboard, but I do still have a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone used the SAT phone on board for emergency emails or calls? Did it work? I'm on vacation and not planning to work, so this is just for a work emergency. My board would strongly prefer I be accessible.
  2. I am trying not to eat refined. Do the meals feature a lot of white pasta, white bread and white rice? If so, I may just pack some whole grain bread or crackers.
  3. Do they have rental equipment on board (in case a piece of my equipment dies) or do they only carry what is reserved? Trying to determine if I need to have duplicates of things.

Thanks for any insights or recommendations.

Sat Phones work anywhere you can see the sky.
We recommend you travel with a carry on bag with a change of clothes, bathing suit, medication and toiletries.
In any case whereas your dive equipment is delayed, you will be provided with a ‘Free’ set of loaner equipment.
Sounds like they could. Aggressor is actually an Aqualung Partner - Aqua Lung Partner Centers
FOOD
The menu onboard is varied and plentiful, with a variety of American feasts, barbecues and local cuisine. If you have any special dietary requirements, please
be sure these are noted when completing the GIS. You will awaken to fresh fruits, hot entrees, cereals and juices. Lunches are buffet style, featuring hot soups,
homemade breads, salads and sandwiches and/or entrees. Dinners are served each evening and include salads, vegetables, seafood, beef or chicken with a fresh homemade dessert.
Once onboard, please speak to the chef about any special needs. Certain special dietary and beverage requests may not be available due to the remote nature of this location.

from Know Before You Go in the blue menu below the ship photo on the Aggressor IV page. Aggressor Fleet - The Ultimate in LiveAboards

Thanks for the info diversteve.

I should clarify my post. I have read the info available from the Agressor Fleet including Know Before You Go and I also do understand how a SAT phone works. My questions were not about what was written on the website but about how things worked in practice...the insight of experience if you will. I asked these questions when speaking with the reservation agent and she seemed uncertain; so i thought I'd ask others to weigh in.

Anyone had first hand knowleadge of how the phone, menu, and rental gear work in practice? For example: Is the SAT phone in good operating condition. Has anyone successfully used it to send email or use docusign in an emergency? Has anyone needed to rent/borrow equimpment after the boat has left port? Any first hand experience with the menu with someone trying to avoid simple carbs?

Helpful tips or advice always welcome.

Thanks all!

Your over thinking it once on the boat I plan to be self sufficient and will rob parts from my bail out reg if needed. They should have some emergency loaner gear onboard but I'm paranoid. As far as the day phone I used one on another boat for voice coms not sure about data. If your board needs to maintain contact I would have them rent a phone for you that we'll so you know what your getting. Food I would let them know your restrictions and allergies they should be able to work with you there within reason.

I have never personally needed to use the phone but the captain has used it on several trips I have been on.

The Chef will go out of their way to make sure you are fed well. There is a spot to put special diet requests when you fill out the paperwork. The Chef will post the menu every morning. If there is something on it you can't eat tell them, they will fix a special plate for you.

I have seen several divers borrow gear from the boat after theirs breaks.

I have been on this boat. Eddie and Megan will show you how to have a good time.

Thanks all, great info about the experience with the chef and the apparent availability of gear. I don't own duplicate gear (except for a 2nd perscription mask) so that is helpful.
I may email them about the SAT phone just to allay my worries. I have two dive trips before Belize (Kona and Roatan) but the Agressor IV is the trip I can't stop thinking about. :bounce:

the onboard sat phone works fine. if there is any issue the aggressor boat is just a few minutes away.

they have limited rental gear, but have always come through when needed. all gear is kept onboard. the crew will make sure your needs are taken care of.

jerry is the best chef in the caribbean (sorry stan)

we almost booked the same trip, but my divebuddy NEEDS to be back home the next day. we look forward to rejoining them soon.

I did a trip on Belize Aggressor III in August 2015; for a variety of personal and professional reasons I had to make at least two short phone calls every day. I rented a portable satellite outfitters Iridium phone, since I more or less need to be able to make and receive calls without interrupting the crew. The phone logged on and worked eventually every time I used it for voice calls; despite the fact that it was supposed to work for low bandwidth data like SMS text, that part was less reliable.

I was going to suggest you consider renting your own phone as well. I lead a group to a remote area of British Columbia that is "off the grid". I decided to rent one last time partly "just in case" and because my wife was at home with a "babysitter" following an accident a few weeks earlier. (She insisted I go... honest!)

The phone worked well... I'd give it an 8/10 and that was with heavy cloud cover, rain, and being surrounded in hills and trees. It was well worth the $140, with unlimited calling.

Sat Phones work anywhere you can see the sky.

SAT phones DO NOT work anywhere you can see the sky. Depending on which network they use, the networks are very far from complete. I haven't used one in about 10 years, but there haven't been many satellites launched in the past 10 years, so I do not imagine anything has changed much. I used the Email on Sundancer 2 about 3 years ago. It worked very well. I did not use the Sat phone at all.

For reference, I used to have a GlobalStar sat phone. On a trip to Alaska, it would work for about 5 minutes at a shot every hour or so when a satellite was overhead. My BIL borrowed the phone to use in the Caribbean and had trouble getting a reliable signal.

Inmarsat is reported to work better, but is much more expensive.

However, the email was reliable enough for me to keep tabs on my business while I was aboard.

The food was good.

I'm sure they have spares for almost anything that breaks, and or are able to make small repairs.

Do not stress and have fun.

Back
Top Bottom