Booking LionAir flights, nightmare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garuda is ok as long as you don't mind not having your check-in luggage after you land.

Apparently Garuda decided that I didn't need my gears when i went for a week long liveaboard in Raja Ampat. They also decided that no apology was necessary.

This is probably not helping...sorry

I just took 4 Gardua flight , all booked via ther website and all really good. I'm not mad on Lion air , Garuda seem to be a lot better. Had 22 kilos on all flights and there was no excess baggage charge.

I booked Lion Air and Wings air flight trought Traleloka and it works very fine . I have had also problem to book in Lion Air web site ( I'm in Italy ) . Traveloka worked fine when I needed to change my flights schedule as well .
hope this can help

Hi Big Fish,

It is indeed not easy to book a flight through the Lyon Air website. The company is ok, as long as you don't mind the pilot smoking in the cockpit between two flights! (true story, in remote aiports :wink:

From abroad I would advise Tiket.com which is pretty good and they also have a lot of special offers. Most of the times it's cheaper to book with them than directly from Lion Air or Garuda etc.

Other solution as as Jcclink pointed out is to use an arent. Beside avoiding the booking mess, the good thing is since sometimes local airlines are late, you might miss the connection and it's a bit of a mess to deal with them... The agent sorts this kind of thing for you.

While we talk about domestic flying, I'd like to share an inside tip. If you stay more than 30 days in Indo, maybe for a LOB trip and then a resort stay, you have to give your passport to the immigration to extend, but it's not a problem since an ID is enough to board domestic flights. Just carry a copy of your passport and your ID, you'll be good :)

Thougth that could be usefull to some of you :)

Enjoy your dives!

Fred.

We booked on Garuda last year from DPS to LBJ and back with no problems whatsoever. I already got bookings for Jakarta to Bali and then Bali to Sorong via Makkassar for this coming December. Airfare is so cheap, I booked in Business Class and that gives us plenty of baggage allowance for scuba and camera gear.

I booked in Business Class and that gives us plenty of baggage allowance for scuba and camera gear.
Garuda cheap compared to what? Isn't 43kg per person enough luggage allowance?
Personally I find business class is an overkill for a 1:50 hrs flight in the morning... but YMMV.

to be fair the tiket website isnt actually that different, my mistake.

Any ideas on sporting equipment with Garuda?

I used Nusa trip booking site and booked Garuda flights in Indonesia. The price was a bit lower than direct booking with Garuda. No problems with my Visa card, but I did have to do the 'secondary' bank verification during the transaction.

Got the following from Garuda re scuba gear:
Salam Garuda Indonesia.

We are very thankful for using Garuda Indonesia Online Booking.

Responding to your inquiry, we would like to inform you special regulation for passenger who brings diving equipment, such condition will have additional allowance with condition as below :
- Diving equipment additional free baggage 1 pc per pax if not over than 23 kg.
- If over than 23 - 32 kg will be treat as excess baggage policy.
- If over than 32 kg we suggest you contact our Garuda Indonesia Cargo.

Regarding excess baggage GA will impose weight concept for excess baggage charges which is 1.5% of IATA highest One Way Y class Fare per 1 kg.

For further information you could check at our website www.garuda-indonesia.com and also use our livechat feature.

May this confirmation give you enough information. Thank you for choosing Garuda Indonesia Airlines.

Best Regards,
PT Garuda Indonesia (Persero) Tbk.
Global Contact Center

Hifdzi

Garuda is ok as long as you don't mind not having your check-in luggage after you land.

Apparently Garuda decided that I didn't need my gears when i went for a week long liveaboard in Raja Ampat. They also decided that no apology was necessary.

This is probably not helping...sorry

Where possible fly in at least a day early, I have two nights booked prior to my next live-aboard to be sure we have our gear. Its a low cost (time and money) given the overall cost of the trip and will be nice to have a relax.

We have had QANTAS (a main stream airline) deliberately un-load our dive gear as the flight was 'too heavy'. The gear came the next day, and I assume they unloaded someone else's baggage...

Back
Top Bottom