Booster for rebreather - Oxygen and trimix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

monkkx

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm diving a rebreather, and because I'm living far away from dive centers, having a booster is a convenient option I'm contemplating.
It would be convenient to fill my 3L O2 tank. I'd like to also use the same booster to top-up my bailout/dilluant tanks (2x7L) with trimix stored in some twinset banks (for now).
I never owned a booster and I'm not familiar with it.
I'm wondering about using the same whips for pure oxygen and trimix, as it would make the oxygen clean setup no longer oxygen clean, right?
Is is a common practice to use a booster for both O2 and trimix? Am I missing something?

thanks in advance

Hello,
I'm wondering about using the same whips for pure oxygen and trimix, as it would make the oxygen clean setup no longer oxygen clean, right?
Is is a common practice to use a booster for both O2 and trimix? Am I missing something?
I'm sure the experts will chime in, but I'm not sure why you think that the O2 cleaning would not continue? The danger with O2 would be introducing oils, grease, etc to the whips. In the case of my setup I can't think of how I would introduce contaminants to the system. I do bleed out my whips between fills of my RB tanks.

As long as you keep the gasses clean you won't contaminate the booster. My O2 clean booster goes back and forth between O2, Helium, and clean air I get from the dive shop. The only thing special I really do is blow some O2 through the booster and lines before filling the O2 bottle. That's nothing more than opening the supply bottle for a second and closing it with the fill whip open to vent.

Hello,

I'm diving a rebreather, and because I'm living far away from dive centers, having a booster is a convenient option I'm contemplating.
It would be convenient to fill my 3L O2 tank. I'd like to also use the same booster to top-up my bailout/dilluant tanks (2x7L) with trimix stored in some twinset banks (for now).
I never owned a booster and I'm not familiar with it.

thanks in advance
Boosters are awesome, especially so for rebreather divers. Before getting one you really need to decide how it will be used and for filling what sized bottles. This will really make a big difference in the size of booster to get.

For my RB I have a Haskel Mini. It is great for travel and perfect for 3L bottles, just tolerable for topping off stages or my doubled 7L bailout. It is pretty much useless for doubles. On the other hand my friends booster (forget model) is great for doubles and bank bottles but pushes too much volume for use with small bottles making filling RB difficult and potentially dangerous.

This is a liggtweight travel friendly model at a very good price that is comparable to what I use. USUN XB30
USUN XB30-OL Booster Pump

Take a look at the other models. There are some that are a nice compromise for usage between rebreather usage and doubles.

running non-O2 gases through a system does not remove the oxygen compatibility of the system. Only the addition of non-oxygen compatible contaminants will. Gases coming from an industrial gas supplier *O2/He/Ar/etc* will not add contaminants to the system. Running air from a scuba compressor that has adequate filtration on it will not contaminate the system.
If you are paranoid about it then have a dedicated O2 and inert gas booster, but the majority of us use a single booster for whatever gases need to be compressed. You will need to purge the lines as mentioned above though if you want a pure blend, but that has nothing to do with O2 compatibility.

Thanks everyone for your responses and confirming the booster can handle multiple gas. That's cool!

Boosters are awesome, especially so for rebreather divers. Before getting one you really need to decide how it will be used and for filling what sized bottles. This will really make a big difference in the size of booster to get.

For my RB I have a Haskel Mini. It is great for travel and perfect for 3L bottles, just tolerable for topping off stages or my doubled 7L bailout. It is pretty much useless for doubles. On the other hand my friends booster (forget model) is great for doubles and bank bottles but pushes too much volume for use with small bottles making filling RB difficult and potentially dangerous.

This is a liggtweight travel friendly model at a very good price that is comparable to what I use. USUN XB30
USUN XB30-OL Booster Pump

Take a look at the other models. There are some that are a nice compromise for usage between rebreather usage and doubles.

Jack that's a very good point. I dive with a 3L O2 tank, however my bailout is a 2x7L manifolded tanks (GUE configuration). So I need something that would work ideally for both small and large tanks.
Would you be able to point me what eSun would work for me?
I was actually looking at MPS band, feedbacks would be welcome: Prodotti

Thanks!

Thanks everyone for your responses and confirming the booster can handle multiple gas. That's cool!

Jack that's a very good point. I dive with a 3L O2 tank, however my bailout is a 2x7L manifolded tanks (GUE configuration). So I need something that would work ideally for both small and large tanks.
Would you be able to point me what eSun would work for me?
I was actually looking at MPS band, feedbacks would be welcome: Prodotti

Thanks!
I've got the same setup, GUE configured JJ. My mini while great on the 3L bottles takes a really really long time to top off the dual 7L bottles. The higher the boost pressure and bigger differential between supply and boosted pressure the longer it takes. So I only top them off as often as I'd like to.

Something like this is a nice compromise.
One of my friends picked one up and it is quick but not too quick for small bottles, good on stages, and slow but useable for doubles. The weight is about 35 pounds or so and still small enough, to be portable. It is comparable in size to a Haskel AG30.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom