Boot question . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tadawson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am in the process of buying a TLS350, and I have big feet - a mens 14.

When at the demo days event, I noted that darn near nothing would fit the rock boots in terms of fins . . . I currently have the largest Apollo's made, and they aren't even close.

So, the question is: Are the Turbo Soles any smaller than a Rock Boot setup? My sealer indicated that the turbo sole setup was more like neoprene over the base suit material, to give it more ruggedness, and thus would be about the same size as the rock boots . . . . so I ordered the rock boots, due to easier to maintain/replace with wear. Considering that I ordered the suit today, if I got it wrong, I need to make a change ASAP!

Please advise!

Thanks,

- Tim

the turbo soles are generally smaller than the rock boots but if your fins "weren't even close" with the rock boots you'll need to order a new set of fins... The XXL scubapro jet fins are about the only thing out there that will fit. You can generally find a used pair of them for around $50-$100. The "new" size regime came out recently so it's now a XXXL but I have yet to see one

I would recomend going with a soft sole boot over a hard sole. Try that you will be able to fit into a smaller fin with a soft sole boot

I have a pair of the old Imperial Turtle fins, which have changed brand and names a number of times, and they are so big that I have to use inserts with my wetsuit boots, so they likely will work. I went to the splits, though, since the Turtles are the "cramp-O-matics" from hell by comparison . . .

I *like* the split fins, and it would really suck to have to go back down to the old ones, but if I have to, I have to . . .

The main question here was not for folks to bash my fins of choice, but to give a meaningful comparison Turbo Soles to Rock Boots.

I was actually hoping for a reply from the DUI rep here . . . perhaps I will have to break down and call . . .

- Tim

I would recomend going with a soft sole boot over a hard sole. Try that you will be able to fit into a smaller fin with a soft sole boot

And which is which? I would regard both as hard, myself . . . but then again, I have not seen a Turbo in person . . .

yeah the manufacturers aren't always on here. I wasn't bashing your fin choice, it was tongue in cheek anyway. In all seriousness though, the splits usually have problems pushing drysuits through the water because they don't have enough torque to push all the extra drag. The turtles you have were designed for drysuit boots, so they'll work fine.

Actually, the turtles I have were bought in 1978 or so before there was much dry suit use at all, but I agree: I think they will fit, if I can manage to not hate them . . .

Myself, I felt that I got *better* propulsion with the splits, not less . . .

- Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom