Bora Bora request for recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sydney-diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm travelling to Bora Bora in August / September. Any advice on must do dives, recomendations on which operator to dive with would be much appreciated. I'm AOW with deep / wreck cert. I've read there's some great deep dives with Manta and Eagle rays plus whales at this time of year which I'd love to see.

Dave

I would highly recommend Top Dive (TOPdive - Your diving centers in Tahiti, Moorea, Bora Bora, Rangiroa and Fakarava) throughout all of French Polynesia. While in Bora Bora we stayed at the Bora Bora Dive Resort (also highly recommended) and dove with Top Dive there as well as in Rangiroa. We were there in June and had eagle rays, mantas, and lots of sharks, but no whales. Best of luck and have a great time. Bora Bora is beautiful -- both underwater and topside.

+ 1 for Top Dive in Bora Bora, they are a great shop. I stayed at the Bora Bora Lagoon Resort & Spa when I was in Bora Bora.

You will definitely see manta rays, spotted eagle rays, lemon sharks and black-tipped sharks on most dives.

I remember that there was a different weight requirements for checked luggages between the island (from/to Papeete to/from Bora Bora). It's not the standard 50lbs/23 kgs allowed on the international flights, it's less, so you will get charged extra for heavy checked luggage for the inter-island flights.

Safe dives!

Good point. The flight to Tahiti was your typical "two bags, 50 lbs each" restriction. However, the inter-island flights were 20 kg TOTAL per person, including carry-on. With a C-card, they gave you an extra 5kg. That means for my wife and I we were allowed 50kg total for the two of us. We were about double that with all my camera gear. We just paid the overage (a couple of hundred dollars for Tahiti to Rangiroa to Bora Bora and back to Tahiti) and mentally rolled it into the cost of our vacation.

Top Dive was good to us when we went.
We stayed at Club Med when we went a couple of years ago, but I understand it's closed now. Too bad, it was a nice place, all-inclusive and in a good location.

Jeff

Thanks guys. I was wondering about the island hopper flight, I suspected there would be a lower limit. Shouldn't be an issue, my wife doesn't dive so it's just my dive gear, her snorkle and fins and my basic point and shoot camera. Should be able to get that under 50kg :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom