Boston area dive conditions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

battles2a5

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all, I'm contemplating a move back up to Boston (originally from Braintree). I've been trying to find an idea of what conditions to expect year-round. Can anyone give me a breakdown of water temps in the North Shore, Bay, Cape, and Nantucket Sound by season or maybe just point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Ryan

Most of us pretty much dive dry most of the year. The waters are warmer further south on Cape Cod, RI. In summer, can get upper 60s there. The warmest on Cape Ann is upper 50s. Can get by diving with a good wetsuit through Sept/October. Water doesn't really warm up until late may. Right now, temps in Cape ann are upper 40s. The best shore diving is North shore (Cape Ann) and RI (Jamestown area) Great dive sites in islands outside of Boston harbor but by boat.

Ok, that sounds bearable. I dive dry year-round for freshwater (caves, lakes, etc.) and most of the year offshore. I'm more a wreck junkie but it would be nice to have some good shore dives instead of having to hit a quarry :)

Thanks for the info.

Not much for wreck's here like you have down there There is the poling off Cape Ann and U Boat off RI.. you'll be pleasantly surprised at some of the good shore dives off here. All within an hour, hour and 1/2 drive of Boston. Cape Nedick (Nubble Light house) in ME and Ft. Weatheril in Jamestown RI are the furthest. There are a couple sites worth diving on Cape (Sandwich Town Beach and Garbage beach) Definately check out Cape Ann Divers website for descriptions on shore dives, info on charters.

Thanks, M8. That's what I was looking for. I thought there was a lot more wreck diving around Boston? Did you ever make it up to the St. Lawrence?

Things to keep in mind.

1) Just about every boat North of NY/NJ will be a 6-Pack. They are Taxi's only, Don't expect showers, toliets, lunch, compressors, lots of space, etc.
2) With very few exceptions, The Dive boat season is from Mid-late May through late October. Heather and Dave's boat the Gauntlet in MA and the Atlantis out of New London are the only two boats that come to mind running this winter. Cape Ann Divers may also have one running.
3) Most of the boats have a fairly standard set of wrecks which are within 20 miles of port. If you want to branch out expect to have to do your own charter, or find frineds with a good boat.
4)In the summer, Expect to loose 1/3-1/2 of your weekends to weather. In the winter expect it to be a crap shoot every dive day.
5) Northeast boats anchor, don't expect to do any drift diving. This means jon lines for the up line when the current is running. Remember, FOG happends, don't be a search target in a 50 foot Nantucket Fog.
6) The water temp is colder North of the elbow of Cape Cod. Cape Cod Bay is always cold
7) Good vis is anything over 15 feet.

Things to keep in mind.

1) Just about every boat North of NY/NJ will be a 6-Pack. They are Taxi's only, Don't expect showers, toliets, lunch, compressors, lots of space, etc.
2) With very few exceptions, The Dive boat season is from Mid-late May through late October. Heather and Dave's boat the Gauntlet in MA and the Atlantis out of New London are the only two boats that come to mind running this winter. Cape Ann Divers may also have one running.
3) Most of the boats have a fairly standard set of wrecks which are within 20 miles of port. If you want to branch out expect to have to do your own charter, or find frineds with a good boat.
4)In the summer, Expect to loose 1/3-1/2 of your weekends to weather. In the winter expect it to be a crap shoot every dive day.
5) Northeast boats anchor, don't expect to do any drift diving. This means jon lines for the up line when the current is running. Remember, FOG happends, don't be a search target in a 50 foot Nantucket Fog.
6) The water temp is colder North of the elbow of Cape Cod. Cape Cod Bay is always cold
7) Good vis is anything over 15 feet.

Thanks Gilldiver. Sounds like your odds of diving are about the same as ours. It will be nice to be driving distance from a boat and knowing the dive got canned before I leave the house as opposed to driving 4 hours and checking into the hotel before I find out! Everything in NC is anchored as well, so that's easy.

Thanks again for the info....

Back
Top Bottom