Boston Harbor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please prison......Not quite. Explain one thing when people dive the Doria and advertise the fact they have recovered artifacts no action is taken aginst them?

Cuz the archeologist and other groups that live off "scholastic welfare" can't make the justification that the Doria is a historic site. The real reason most of these laws exist is because these welfare recipients way of life depends on them keeping items off limits to you and I so they can apply for grants to do dubious "archeology". If you and I do the same artifact recovery they call it plundering, if they do it it's "research". They take a bunch of pictures and site mapping drawings and claim to gain an understanding of how "those people" lived when the boat went down. Hate to tell them, once a ship goes down in a storm and spirals 150 feet to the bottom, all those objects aren't where they were intially put on that ship. I've read several books from these welfare recipients and none of their work revealed anything that wasn't known from other types of sources. I learned much more from commercial salvors that recovered the Wydah and the SS Republic.

Find it, bring it up, preserve it and KEEP IT!!!!

Im from Salem, havent heard of many wrecks North of Boston that have anything of value left to them. I mainly dive for lobsters on Cape Ann but would like to get into wreck diving. Does your group know of wrecks that havent been dived yet? Not looking for you to give away any secrets, just curious as id like to get into it someday. Keep us posted on any good finds and good luck.

Anthony

octotat:
If you and I do the same artifact recovery they call it plundering, if they do it it's "research".

AMEN...

And what's even worse is when they close a site and no one does any research until it has rotted away :-(

Paul in VT

octotat:
Cuz the archeologist and other groups that live off "scholastic welfare" can't make the justification that the Doria is a historic site. The real reason most of these laws exist is because these welfare recipients way of life depends on them keeping items off limits to you and I so they can apply for grants to do dubious "archeology". If you and I do the same artifact recovery they call it plundering, if they do it it's "research". They take a bunch of pictures and site mapping drawings and claim to gain an understanding of how "those people" lived when the boat went down. Hate to tell them, once a ship goes down in a storm and spirals 150 feet to the bottom, all those objects aren't where they were intially put on that ship. I've read several books from these welfare recipients and none of their work revealed anything that wasn't known from other types of sources. I learned much more from commercial salvors that recovered the Wydah and the SS Republic.

Find it, bring it up, preserve it and KEEP IT!!!!

CLACK ohhh thats a homerun. Thank you for the smile I'm wearing.:D

blacksambellamy:
Have you made out well with your dives as far as artifacts go? Taxachusetts i know but screw them..

Believe me i do everything Legal an obey all laws (im a cop) But when it comes to this stuff the Legal way will get you screwed. Basically the lawmakers are saying "if i cant have it you cant have it". That's bullcrap. I got certified, i spent the cash, i did the research and i put my life on the line so you better believe i will take what is rightfully mine.

Go ahead call me a modern day Pirate caus im proud of it.
Teddy don't want us diving and snooping around out here......... we might find more of his indescretions out there.

I live in NJ but have a great hook with people in the Boston area. Between the hooks,our research and a boat Capt (who is aces) we will be sitting on plenty of wrecks. It is said that most are picked over ........... this is true to the untrained eye.

blacksambellamy:
I live in NJ but have a great hook with people in the Boston area. Between the hooks,our research and a boat Capt (who is aces) we will be sitting on plenty of wrecks. It is said that most are picked over ........... this is true to the untrained eye.

Who is your ace captain?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom