Both Sad and Amusing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep. Recife, in Brazil. The bulls, tigers, and black tips have developed a taste for surfers...

I think it was Brazil, at the place you named. It was definitely a place in South America where they loved their beach and tiny bikinis! But not Rio, I don't believe.:D

A few years ago while fishing off the Yucatan coast near Playa, my brother-in-law had a good sized white marlin on the line. After a few jumps the fish sounded and then began taking line at a startling rate. Then. quite suddenly, the line went slack. Thinking he had lost the fish, my bro-in-law began reeling in the line, but he felt a lot more resistance than just the terminal tackle would have given. When he got the line in, he found that he had just the head of a white marlin that would have gone 75-80 lbs. Something bit it off just behind the pectoral fins.

I had a similar experience with a tuna in the same area, but the leader broke.

I would say that there are sharks over there, and pretty big ones

That happens almost every trip offshore---aggrevating to bring home heads only but that's the Gulf.....biggest we've caught, a 10' hammerhead, 29 miles out of Cameron in 40' of water......But the diving is still good.....

That happens almost every trip offshore---aggrevating to bring home heads only but that's the Gulf.....biggest we've caught, a 10' hammerhead, 29 miles out of Cameron in 40' of water......But the diving is still good.....

Where y'at? I'm from Lake Charles and I grew up fishing out of Cameron. We used to fish (and party) the Tarpon Rodeo every summer. Do they still do that?

Someone actually caught a great white near Calica a few years ago. I saw the picture in Por Esto at the time. Obviously very rare occurence.

I thought divers in PDC used to see bull sharks relatively frequently though

Someone actually caught a great white near Calica a few years ago. I saw the picture in Por Esto at the time. Obviously very rare occurence.

I thought divers in PDC used to see bull sharks relatively frequently though

I SERIOUSLY doubt this, no way. Yes there are Bulls, Hammers, Tigers, Blacktips, all along the Yucatan coast, but the Great White??? Nope, not possible, the water is too warm year-round, they like cooler water....I wouldn't believe everything in a newspaper, or a online web forum...

Don't believe that "the water is too warm" stuff for the great whites - we see the odd one here with water temps at 25 - 28+C :wink: You might be surprised who you'll be lucky enough to see one day!

I agree!

While they prefer cooler water temps, Great Whites occaisionally turn up in very tropical waters like Hawaii, so I don't think Cozumel would be a stretch. It's rare but they are sighted here occasionally also.

And there is archeological evidence that it has happened throughout the centuries as there are ancient Hawaiian weapons containing Great White teeth.

I SERIOUSLY doubt this, no way. Yes there are Bulls, Hammers, Tigers, Blacktips, all along the Yucatan coast, but the Great White??? Nope, not possible, the water is too warm year-round, they like cooler water....I wouldn't believe everything in a newspaper, or a online web forum...

What would you consider evidence? One biting you on the a$$?

We are in a salt water enviroment that is slowly shrinking, when they over fish in one area of the world or they wipe out a reef enviromnent the animals adjust, while i agree that it is rare that the great whites are out there you must consider that the channel between cozumel and the mainland is deep and the temps at a certain depth do change, Lots of species of sharks use the "canal" as a sorta underwater highway to the gulf of mexico and almost every year some fisherman has had an encounter with a great white. So it is quite possible the occasional run into with a white shark and does happen just not very frequently with divers.:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom