Bottom image

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverchet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My gps only gets us close to the wrecks. I like to buy a sonar or somthing that gives a good bottom image to put us dead on the wreck and look for wrecks. I'd like to stay close to a grand or two for price. Any ideas?

Hummingbird makes a cheap sidescan... It's not the greatest, but it would work.

Note that Humminbird has a couple of different sidescan models that use different frequencies.
I hvae a friend with the cheaper one and she's underwhellmed. There are several people on
the Whaler board that have the better one and really like it.

Our Humminbird has found us several new dive sites, however, the OP really did not ask for side scan. I think he only needs a good down looking sonar to position his boat once over the wreck/site using his gps. Any 1,000 dollars Lowrance, Garmin, Humminbird combo unit can do that. The Humminbird 700 series might be a place to start.

There are boating electronic elitist who only recommend certain high end brands, Ray Marine etc, that mostly don't work as well as a Lowrance or Humminbird. Only Humminbird has side scan and while Lowrance claims to offer it I have yet to see one. Side scan can delineate wreaks and reefs but if you are expecting an underwater picture as if looking at a TV, forget it.

N

I have a Huminbird 989 Si Side Scan unit and i am basically happy with it.
It is great to find new dive sites or sites you don't have the exact position as far
as they are not deeper than 100-120 ft.
Any non Side Scan fishfinder / deepsounder should be able to show a wreck in depths suitable for sport diving.
If you do tek dives you should get a unit with 500 Wat RMS on the transducer to be sure to get clear readings
on deeper wrecks or dive sites.
A color screen make interpreting the screen easier than gray scale screen, but you need to get used to read it.

Chris

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom