Bottom Timer with Minutes & Seconds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
MikeFerrara once bubbled...
I go by decompression run time.
Both you and Phil are using RT... that must mean that you have to keep track of RT... do you have the RT for each stop written down on a slate or something?

We just remember the stops with more than 1 minute.

For example last week we did 160' for 20 minutes:

Our first one minute stop was at 100' and everything else was one minute (except the gas switch at 70' is three minutes) until we get to the first multi-minute deco stop which happened to be at 40' for 2 minutes, 30' for 3 minutes, 20' for 6 minutes, 10' for 4 minutes (we switch the 10' and 20' stops.)

Thus we call a 160/20 using EAN50 for deco a 2,3,6,4 dive... and that is all we have to remember. First stop and all but the gas switch (always 3~5) are one minute... then we do 2,3,6,4

We do have 2,3,6,4 written down in our wetnotes but this is so simple to remember even I can do it.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Both you and Phil are using RT... that must mean that you have to keep track of RT... do you have the RT for each stop written down on a slate or something?

I do, yes. The slate would have three columns, the first being depth, the second RT and the third % of deco gas used. Something like

160 20
120 23 35 (gas switch)
70 28 50

The times are when you arrive in the case of gas switch, or when you leave in case of deco stop. So at minute 28 you would leave 70 ft and ascend to 60, spend one minute, then leave at 30. Hard to show without a full profile, but easy to do. We do gas switches on the fly if not at a deco stop, or you could program in a minute if wanted.

Phil

We just remember the stops with more than 1 minute.

Yes and no. If My first stop is at (just to pick a number) 100 ft and the first say 3 stops are 1 minute I don't need all that written down. I do know though that there is three minutes in those stops combined. I get to the first stop and time 1 minute from the next minute click and leave. After that I am leaving stops on the minute. That's what I really meant by run time.

We also run into situations like having a 7 minute swim at 45 feet as part of the ascent (cave) with a schedule that calls for say 3 min at 50 and 5 min at 40. I might do the swim and count it towards the 50 ft stop and part of the 40 ft stop. When I get to where I can continue my ascent I won't go above 40 until the 8 min has passed. Also we might have our O2 waiting at the start of the main line at 45 ft and the flow can be up or down changing the exact time of the swim. So I have the swim and the bottle pick up and a reel pick up to do in that slot. Once I start the clock on deco I am leaving each stop on time and I can check myselfe easily.

I might if I feel the need write down the time when I leave a certain stop. This gives an intermediate number to work against to minimize the math. We're diving similar depths but have longer bottom times so stops get longer deeper giving more to remember

Using your example of 2, 3, 6, 4 I might have that 7 minute swim at an inbetween depth to do during the three and the six but I won't leave the six untill 9 minutes has elapsed from when I left the 2.

I'm allways interested in ways to simplify the process though so please offer any suggestions you might have.

I carry both deco time and RT. For your example 160' 20 m dive with 50% for deco I would have this on my wrist slate:

Stop at 90ft 0:40 (22)
Stop at 80ft 1:00 (23)
Stop at 70ft 5:00 (28)
Stop at 60ft 1:00 (29)
Stop at 50ft 1:00 (30)
Stop at 40ft 1:00 (31)
Stop at 30ft 1:00 (32)
Stop at 20ft 9:00 (41)

Of course I would have various +/- depth and time numbers too were I actually doing the dive.

WW

WreckWriter once bubbled...
I carry both deco time and RT. For your example 160' 20 m dive with 50% for deco I would have this on my wrist slate:

WW

As I'm still learning here, why do you feel it necessary to also have stop times if you have RT?

Do you also have missed depth profiles on your slate. Say for 170' in the example we're using, or are you figuring something as you go if necessary?

Phil

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
We're diving similar depths but have longer bottom times so stops get longer deeper giving more to remember
it starts to get not fun anymore if we stay to long... but you are right... the more stops and the longer they are the more there is to remember. But I think for the direct ascents we are doing it is much easier to just remember the numbers greater than one.

it starts to get not fun anymore if we stay to long... but you are right... the more stops and the longer they are the more there is to remember. But I think for the direct ascents we are doing it is much easier to just remember the numbers greater than one.

I still have fun but I add depth, time or complexity a little at a time because it changes things more than some would imagine.

MechDiver once bubbled...
We do gas switches on the fly if not at a deco stop
We do the gas switch at PO2 1.6 and spend enough time there for it to have an effect.... it is the gas switch deco stop.

I am referring to the temp difference between your water and our water. My longest dive here was 62 minutes and that just gets to be not fun! I'm a weenie. :D

We had a 82 min RT in Hood Canal last November. Even the Weezle was shivering for awhile. Ain't no weenie about it :eek:

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom