Bought a new regulator just noticing it has a fingernail deep scratch/nick on first stage, will this be a problem with rust or anything in the future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigAladdin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just bought a Aqualung legend MBS and I am noticing months later where I haven’t even used it yet, but about to on closer inspection there is a small Nick on the first stage. It is about a fingernail deep meeting. Your fingernail will get stuck in it if you graze your finger by.

Seems only cosmetic to a new and green person like me, I wish I could buy something new that would come 100% immaculate. But being this is the case, is it something to worry about? I can’t but help feel the water will penetrate in and cause rust and nasty ness not sure what could happen.

I think I’m outside of the time allowed for returns or exchanges. But what should I do if anything at all. Should I worry?

Attachments

• IMG_5818.jpeg
    IMG_5818.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5821.jpeg
    IMG_5821.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_5820.jpeg
    IMG_5820.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_5819.jpeg
    IMG_5819.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 155
Scratch from a wrench where someone screwed the hose on. No need to worry about rust. Brass doesn't rust and if the plating was applied properly as long as you rinse with fresh water it won't flake off or corrode. Should it have come this way? No. Whoever assembled it should have been more careful. But after a dozen dives or so, you won't notice it among all the other marks, dings, and scratches that will be on it. From getting tossed in the reg bag, rinsing it, taking in and out of the car, etc.
In the future, closely inspect any new purchases when you get them. For now, it's a non issue as far as function goes.

I just bought a Aqualung legend MBS and I am noticing months later where I haven’t even used it yet, but about to on closer inspection there is a small Nick on the first stage. It is about a fingernail deep meeting. Your fingernail will get stuck in it if you graze your finger by.

Seems only cosmetic to a new and green person like me, I wish I could buy something new that would come 100% immaculate. But being this is the case, is it something to worry about? I can’t but help feel the water will penetrate in and cause rust and nasty ness not sure what could happen.

I think I’m outside of the time allowed for returns or exchanges. But what should I do if anything at all. Should I worry?

Dude,
You need to go diving and not worry about this. Just think of this as the first scratch you are going to get on your regulator when you go diving anyways, you won't feel as bad when you get the ding next time you go diving. Dive and relax. It is a sign of "experience" :)

If a scratch on a 1st stage was something to worry about, divers would be the most worrisome people on earth.

No, but it will affect your eyesight. You’re always gonna be looking at the gouge you didn’t create. I say have them replace it.

No, but it will affect your eyesight. You’re always gonna be looking at the scratch you didn’t create. I say have them replace it.
No, but it will affect your eyesight. You’re always gonna be looking at the scratch you didn’t create. I say have them replace it.
Honestly more worried if it comes again with an imperfection that will actually effect it’s function

I'm wondering about what appears to be a lot of marring/scratches around that port. A brand new, just-out-of-the-box reg shouldn't look like that, I think.

rx7diver

I'm wondering about what appears to be a lot of marring/scratches around that port. A brand new, just out-of-the-box, reg shouldn't look like that, I think.

rx7diver
Other than that one nic that’s just a lighting effect I think. Not really any Scrathes there. The light just makes it look that way

Yeah it's your crap photos did you give them broken money they misrepresented their abilities take it back

Yea I have a bad habit of not inspecting new purchases. Will definitely do so going forward. But in the event that they can’t do anything about it. Would this still be as functional as a new Reg. Would this deteriorate quicker?

Back
Top Bottom