Bought a new regulator just noticing it has a fingernail deep scratch/nick on first stage, will this be a problem with rust or anything in the future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yea I have a bad habit of not inspecting new purchases. Will definitely do so going forward. But in the event that they can’t do anything about it. Would this still be as functional as a new Reg. Would this deteriorate quicker?

The regulator is fine. That little scratch will never cause an issue. I am not even sure it is a scratch but instead a minor defect in the forging prior to chroming. I do not have my glasses on but either way it is of no consequence.

Okay, I put my glasses on, are we talking about the circular marks beside the port plug or the bright linear defect between the ports?

Take a better photo.

The regulator is fine. That little scratch will never cause an issue. I am not even sure it is a scratch but instead a minor defect in the forging prior to chroming. I do not have my glasses on but either way it is of no consequence.

Okay, I put my glasses on, are we talking about the circular marks beside the port plug or the bright linear defect between the ports?

Take a better photo.
I didn’t even notice the circular marks until someone else pointed them out. I was originally talking about the bright linear scratch/nick next to the 2nd stage hose. But I guess now I’m worried about the circular marks as well.

Yea I have a bad habit of not inspecting new purchases. Will definitely do so going forward. But in the event that they can’t do anything about it. Would this still be as functional as a new Reg. Would this deteriorate quicker?
Seems to me they have over torqued the LP hose that, could be an issue.

I didn’t even notice the circular marks until someone else pointed them out. I was originally talking about the bright linear scratch/nick next to the 2nd stage hose. But I guess now I’m worried about the circular marks as well.
Without a better photo I am going to say both of those are pre-chrome and are minor machine defects from the CNC milling process.

Seems to me they have over torqued the LP hose that could be an issue.
No possible way to tell that from the photo.
More likely they used an adjustable wrench instead of a proper size box end and it slipped or the adjusting wheel made contact with the body. An adjustable wrench is fine for doing this if the person is careful. And a thin jawed one is preferred.
If he's worried about this, just take the hose off and reinstall it. Tighten by hand and then 2 fingers on the proper size wrench to snug it up. Unless he's a power lifter or incredibly weak this will torque it very close to the recommended 35-40 inch lbs.
If the wrench slips it may also be under torqued.

Without a better photo I am going to say both of those are pre-chrome and are minor machine defects from the CNC milling process.
Yep, that's exactly what the circular ones are.

With low torque I don’t think you could gouge the metal that deep.

With CNC machining being computer controlled, I would think the machine would have had to go haywire to make a gouge like that. Plus, they have quality inspection every step of the way.

That's why I said IF and did not suggest that this has happened. Just a possibility. My comment is based on being a reg tech instructor since 2012 and the author of 7 reg service manuals

Yea but those are things that can be adjusted with a wrench. I’m more worried about things I can’t change like scratches, nicks etc
Remove and install hoses with this tool. Save the beauty of your chrome plated brass regulators.

1694965635297.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom