Bouyancy preference for camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About 2 lbs negative. That way I can "park" a housing in the sand, and they dangle nicely from the left hip.

All the best, James

I'm the same as James - about 2 pounds negative. I can set it down somewhere if I'm done shooting or clip it off beneath me and not have it interfere with me by floating up. I do not worry about dropping it over a wall, as I generally clip off if there is a deep bottom. I often dive off a zodiac, so I clip off the rig into the water before I enter, and one time the rocking of the boat loosened the knot on the clip and away my camera went (now I use a specially built tether line that will not come loose). 135 feet to the bottom. Had it been neutral, lord only knows where it could have floated to. But sure enough, it was lying in the sand almost directly beneath the boat.

Prefer slightly positive... especially when diving 5,000+ ft walls!

Next camera I get will be slightly negative. The 1st camera I ever purchased was positive. I find the floating a constant pain. Of course, it not being secured correctly & then disappearing was a bummer too.

I have a A620 with Ikelite and its slightly neg. I looped a press pass type lanyard through the handle strap and placed it around my neck so it was by my stomach while swimming. didn't even feel it and had enough length that it didn't cause a problem shooting, That wont work once I use my handle and strobe but for just the case it was fine.

Mine is 2 lb neg but I'm working on getting it to 1 lb neg because my arms and hands get sore when trying to hold it steady for super macro shooting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom