Boynton Inlet Loggerhead DB broken up?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to hear everyone survived the ordeal and hope there are no serious injuries.

Following seas (waves from behind) are one of the most dangerous conditions to pilot a boat in. If the waves are travelling faster than the boat, they can easily catch the stern and cause the boat to broach (turn sideways to the waves). That makes it an easy job for the next wave to roll the boat over. If, as previously mentioned, the first wave came over the stern, that would place a large amount of water on deck making the boat even more unstable. Under these conditions a 10' wave could capsize a 40 or even 50' boat.

If you ever find yourself in these conditions....
1. Don't do the inlet unless you have to. Find a safer inlet or wait it out at anchor.
2. Make sure you have enough power to outrun the waves. Not that you want to, but you need reserve power for the unexpected.
3. Time your entry so that you are riding in on the backside of the wave and your bow is pointed up. Sliding down the wave you cannot control your speed and are at the mercy of the waves. (Waves show no mercy, ever!)
4. Stay with the wave, no faster, no slower, until you're all the way through.

Good solid advice. Over the years I have seen two boats get rolled in conditions like this.

Once in the St. Lucie inlet. (Up there they call the wave action like this in the inlet "standing men".) An open fish was headed out the inlet. Conditions were bad in the inlet, but not too bad once you got out of the effect. The guy running the boat decided he didn't want to go out, and tried to turn around in the middle of the inlet. THIS IS NEVER A GOOD IDEA. He got rolled, and we pulled them out of the water.

The second boat was in the Boynton inlet. Young kids who didn't know what they were doing. They ended up in the water clinging to a wake board. They were getting battered up against the sea wall. A 45' sport fish made the most spectacular rescue I have ever seen. The captain backed right up to the seawall at a high speed. At the last second he threw it in forward and held the boat in position while a crew member pulled the kids in.

Interesting why a dive boat is coming in at 9:30 in the morning. Most have an 8:00-8:30 go, I am wondering if they decided it was too rough out.

Well at least the news that all are well is good,

I was told the boat was a total loss from a pal that lives near by
Thanks all!
Brad

Hi Brad. The vis was about three feet, so the divers came back up after about five minutes and they went back in.

Glad everyone is safe but *** were they thinking about:shakehead: So the boat is a total loss along with thousands of dollars worth of gear. Come on use some common sense.

The few times i have been out with them or anyone else from the same marina it always seemed like we were surfing back through the inlet - even on a fairly calm day out at sea. Add in the recent swells and i couldnt imagine how bad it would have been to ride in there!

Glad to hear no loss of life and such, just a financial inconvenience for the owners and divers for now.

It's not uncommon for boats with all the power in the world to go out the Boynton inlet and have to return through Boca inlet. You wind up burning a lot of extra fuel doing so, but sometimes good seamanship demands it. Anyone arguing with the ocean always loses.
Running a slow dive boat back to harbor with large seas off Boynton is right up there with having a loaded powerhead topside on a boat. Most of the time, nothing happens but when it does, it's not good.
Totally avoidable.

While the original dive boat is gone, Loggerhead Dive Charters is still in business....still able to take reservations and get divers on boats.

While the original dive boat is gone, Loggerhead Dive Charters is still in business....still able to take reservations and get divers on boats.

And what boat are they putting them on? Are they renting someones boat and taking them out themselves or taking reservations and putting them on another op's charter?

And what boat are they putting them on? Are they renting someones boat and taking them out themselves or taking reservations and putting them on another op's charter?
I think they may be doing a combination of both while they look for another boat, but you really have to check with them for certain. I have spoken to them on several occasions over the past week, but I have not heard all of the details. I do know they are alive, well, and still in business.

If they are going out in 10ft seas, I think I'll pass! How could that possibly be an enjoyable trip? My boat doesnt leave port Canaveral if NOAA forecasts 4ft'ers!! Just too dang rough to enjoy it!

With the marine forecasts and the sea conditions as they were known to be at that time, no dive op on the east coast should have been planning to dive. Sometimes, discretion is the better part of valor, they should have stayed in port. :palmtree: Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom