BP/W and weight loss (body not lead)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladyfishdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a large BC which has been nice, but I have come off the plateau I have been on and am now starting to lose weight again. I need to drop about 20 lbs more to be at that healthy for me weight. This will make the BC too big. It almost is right now.

If I get a BP/W, which I know very little about at this point, is it more adaptable to size? What I mean is if I get one now, and drop the 20lbs will it fit me then? I think it will because it seems like the setup is more flexible that way but I am not sure.

In a word, yes. If you get a one piece harness, you can always make the straps, waist belt, crotch strap tighter and cut off any excess.

In a word, yes. If you get a one piece harness, you can always make the straps, waist belt, crotch strap tighter and cut off any excess.

+1 for what rivers said. Don't let an LDS talk you in to some kind of deluxe harness with lots of buckles and fancy doo-dads. The one piece harness is virtually unlimited in it's ability to be adjusted to fit you.

+1 for what rivers said. Don't let an LDS talk you in to some kind of deluxe harness with lots of buckles and fancy doo-dads. The one piece harness is virtually unlimited in it's ability to be adjusted to fit you.

and also dirt cheap to replace when it wears out.

I bought a BP/W last year and have lost 30lbs since then. It adjusts and fits well. +1 on the "basic" harness.

Agree with everything said. Just make sure you don't cut too aggressively on the overlap if you make the harness yourself. That way you'll have a little room to let it out if necessary.

I made mine, and it was really easy. You can find instructions on the internet:

Webbing a Harness

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=instructions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ed6KcAb7B2w

Hogarthian Harness Assembly Instructions - Dive Gear Express

I just moved to a BP/W and am happy with it. It is super easy and you can customize it with what you want (e.g., I wanted d-rings on both hips, not just the left, and I like the fixed 90-degree ones).

Good luck and enjoy.

---------- Post added July 24th, 2013 at 05:49 AM ----------

I have an old backpack, plastic but the concept is the same, and one piece harness (replaced harness at least once) that I wore when I was 16. I still use it when I'm testing gear in the pool. Granted I haven't lost any weight since then, but it has not noticed the changes in my weight over the years.

Bob
-------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Good to know. Thanks for the information. I will read up on this a bit before I go shopping.

I've lost a ton of weight (170lbs) and I am so glad i got a harness to dive with. You'll never have to worry about size again. BPW all the way

I got a BPW prior to losing a lot more than 20 lbs. Unlimited adjustment was a driving factor in my decision to get one.

As I lost weight I also lost buoyancy. Size wasn't the only item of concern with weight loss, it seems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom