BP/W are banned! And other fun things I've learned on my first chartered dive ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
To put it in perspective, you should be neutral with a near empty tank. If you are, you need enough lift to counter the weight of the gas you carry. With an 80 cu ft tank that comes to about 6 pounds. .....

The math is pretty straight forward and it's plain that the guy is a goof.

There's also a loss of buoyancy that occurs as a result of suit compression that must be compensated for. Perhaps another 6 pounds at depth? It's also good to have some serious buoyancy on the surface or for emergencies. Then there's that bag of scallops that would be best handled by a lift bag, but seldom is.:wink:

I think 30lbs is a good size wing for a balanced rec rig.

daedalusx thanks for the laugh!

I've seen some ignorant people before, but none of them showed that much ego.

I find the OP completely believeable. There are many fine, well informed open minded dive shop owners, and Dive Operators, but........

I've on many occassions walked into a dive shop with a BackPlate and Wing and the response has been "What's that!??"

Not too shocking if it's a 18 year old clerk, kinda bewildering when it's the shop owner.

Tobin

dherbman:
There's also a loss of buoyancy that occurs as a result of suit compression that must be compensated for. Perhaps another 6 pounds at depth? It's also good to have some serious buoyancy on the surface or for emergencies. Then there's that bag of scallops that would be best handled by a lift bag, but seldom is.:wink:

I think 30lbs is a good size wing for a balanced rec rig.

Yes. Suit compression can be significant especially for those poor souls who dive deep in cold water wearing heavy wet suits.

Loved this post LOL!

The captain's name must be Jack Sparrow or Davy Jones or something like that right? Let me guess, wooden hull, no motor and slop for lunch? Kindly tell the captain that you'll report him to PADI, Naui and the rest of the other agencies that allow you to use a tank to dive and not a boat over your head LOL!

80 lbs! What, you made of lead or trying to lift some lost gold or sunken treasure? or you decided to bring along your entire treasured belongings for the dive ?

Damn you would think that dive operators would read or update their dive info once a century at the very least and this isn't about operator bashing this is about not letting one of your fellow divers face the same crap as yourself! Give us the name of the operator to help us it's not to bash them. Lemme hazzard another guess the owner of the operator is Jerry Lewis no?

Whenever I find such ignorant captains/operator I feel the need to make others aware of their standards (or lack of) so that others don't have to endure the same issues as yourself... share the info and help prevent the slaughter.

e..cuse me I'm a little high at the moment and feel the need to vent... hicup!

S A nnnn ggPPPP

I have to agree with the Captain. These rigs are extremely dangerous and you should not be diving with it.

So, as my good deed for the day, I will allow you to safely dispose of your diving death-trap by sending it to me at once, where I can put it to proper use. :D

You want to really have some fun, try taking your BP/W to a tropical location and when they ask how much weight you need, say, "None," and watch their faces. No ditchable weight?? You are absolutely going to kill someone.

This charter captain is right on the money, you put everyone on the boat at risk diving that kind of setup. You should package it up, and send it to me immediately to stay on the safe side.

In seriousness, I dont think I would go with this op again. Doesnt sound like a friendly guy, and a bit nearsighted/stupid for my tastes.

I dive DSS too )

-Josh

midnite135:
This charter captain is right on the money, you put everyone on the boat at risk diving that kind of setup. You should package it up, and send it to me immediately to stay on the safe side.
Ha! Got mine in first - neener-neener-neen-ner!

The whole thing sounds like every cliche' told in scuba lore. Is this on the level?.....
Im such a skeptic!

I bought a tank online, then called a local LDS about having the valve installed. The conversation started with him saying "take it to another shop, you don't know much about tanks". After I read him every label on the tank, he agreed (very reluctantly) that a new tank that was hydro'ed and inspected at the factory in 2/06 and never used would PROBABLY not have any internal damage that would show up in a visual. I wish he would've just said "Since you bought it online and I didn't make any money, I'm going to charge you for a visual." I can respect honesty.

I guess I learned that some DMs don't like it when a diver can read, rather than just listen to what THEY say.

The next guy said "Huh" when I said DIR, so I said "cave or tech divers" and he said "I don't care how many times you wrap your hose around your neck, it's not going to save you.". Yeah, OK, I'm supposed to feel confident buying gear from him? He's clearly only familiar with gear he sells (not really, but that's another story), so what if the gear he sells isn't right for my purposes? (Nonsense!!!)

My conclusion? If your instructor says he has 30 years of experience, expect to get a very thorough training in 30 year-old techniques. (Okay, a little harsh, but there have been advances in techniques and equipment which MIGHT interest a new diver.)

In your case, I suspect the DM saw a diver (you) with a robust, streamlined setup that was superior (and overall cheaper) to anything he sold. If he let those other divers leave without bashing your gear, his customers may start looking elsewhere.

You should rename your thread:

"I'd tell you about my BP/W, but then I'd have to kill you."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom