BP/W BCD-I am puzzled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you. So will all these be enough for a BP/W set that will be used with a single tank? I think 35 lb lifting will be enough. I am planing to order these...

Bladder : OMS Single Bladder without retraction bands 32 lb. lift
Harness : OMS Harness with Quick Release only
Backplate : Dive-Rite Aluminum Backplate (1034)
STA : Hollis Single Tank Adapter Bolt Kit

Most backplates will work with most wings, with the use of a single tank adapter. My only comment is that the STA you've listed (the Hollis) only includes the bolt kit, NOT the actual STA and cambands (x2) you'll need.

I see. So do you think that the back plate I listed will work with the wing I listed?

Most likely. If you use an STA, everything (plate, wing, STA) lines up with two 11" spaced holes down the center, so mixing brands isn't too big of a deal. However, if you're not using an STA, then there are differences you have to pay attention to (camband slot spacing, mainly). There may be some other issues, but that's the problem with buying piecemeal.

I added up the prices of what you've listed, and once you add the STA and cambands, you're looking at spending about $470. For less than that, you might consider going with a full package that was made to work together as a complete system - check out the Deep Sea Supply package configured as such:

Single Tank Rig w/ Medium Stainless Steel plate, Hogarthian Harness, Torus 26, Full Circle Style Single Tank Wing
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?&page=rig_configurator

DSS rigs are fantastic, and do not require an STA. Plus, the owner, Tobin, is readily available here to answer any questions you may have and make sure you're outfitted with the best (not most expensive) equipment for the type of diving that you do. I'm not in any way affiliated with them, but I do like their products.

Best of luck!

I see. So do you think that the back plate I listed will work with the wing I listed?

Or maybe I must order an OMS backplate. Because the bladder is OMS? Like this one : OMS 2 lb. Aluminum BackPlate Only (BP-020)

Here's what I use. Apeks Products

The harness works perfectly for recreational diving with a single tank - no adapters needed, just add a wing of your choice. I use a 30lb DiveRite Venture. A Steel plate can be added to the system very easily if or when you want to dive doubles.

Some will boo hoo the harness as too complicated but so be it, I love it.

Most likely. If you use an STA, everything (plate, wing, STA) lines up with two 11" spaced holes down the center, so mixing brands isn't too big of a deal. However, if you're not using an STA, then there are differences you have to pay attention to (camband slot spacing, mainly). There may be some other issues, but that's the problem with buying piecemeal.

I added up the prices of what you've listed, and once you add the STA and cambands, you're looking at spending about $470. For less than that, you might consider going with a full package that was made to work together as a complete system - check out the Deep Sea Supply package configured as such:

Single Tank Rig w/ Medium Stainless Steel plate, Hogarthian Harness, Torus 26, Full Circle Style Single Tank Wing
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?&page=rig_configurator

DSS rigs are fantastic, and do not require an STA. Plus, the owner, Tobin, is readily available here to answer any questions you may have and make sure you're outfitted with the best (not most expensive) equipment for the type of diving that you do. I'm not in any way affiliated with them, but I do like their products.

Best of luck!

You type faster than I do, Kenn:) I'd just gotten finished putting that very link into my post, after making the same points. Given that he's in Turkey, he might want to go with a Kydex plate instead of the S/S one, depending on the water temperature and what tanks he's going to use. But I'm sure Tobin will guide him through that decision process.

Guy

Thanks for replies.

I asked my insturcor about deepseaseasupply products. He said that, I would not use their product because they tailor. He pointed out that the only good techincal diving equipment producers are DiveRite and OMS. Why would he said that? Thank you.

Thanks for replies.

I asked my insturcor about deepseaseasupply products. He said that, I would not use their product because they tailor. He pointed out that the only good techincal diving equipment producers are DiveRite and OMS. Why would he said that? Thank you.

He would be dead wrong. DSS makes some of the finest dive gear on the planet.

Thanks for replies.

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by "tailor" here?

I don't say this often, but your instructor is highly opinionated and/or highly uninformed, and I'm willing to bet everyone reading this thread would agree. There are many, many excellent manufacturers of technical diving equipment. Dive Rite and OMS both make good gear. So do Deep Sea Supply, Halcyon, Oxycheq, Agir-Brokk, Edge/HOG, Hollis, etc.

Your instructor may have reasons why he prefers the brands he does, but saying that the others do not produce good technical diving equipment would demand some significant explanation.

Your instructor may have reasons why he prefers the brands he does, but saying that the others do not produce good technical diving equipment would demand some significant explanation.

I agree. I feel pretty darn good about almost all the technical gear I have, and I own one item from Dive-Rite and nothing from OMS.

I think every company that Gombessa mentioned is represented in the group with which I dive, including me, and I don't hear a lot of complaints.

In fact, I know people who steer clear of both Dive-Rite and OMS because they feel their products are not as good as some others.

I suggest you read through the ScubaBoard equipment forums to see what others have said about different brands.

I do not think that he is uninformed. Maybe he says that because he sells OMS and DiveRite products. Or maybe he had some unpleasent thing with other brands. I am not sure. I could not discuss this with him because I do not have any proper knowladge. I even am not sure about how to set up a nice BP/W to use with singles. There are numerous brands and numerous types of harnesses, backplates, wings, etc... So based on your statement, which one to buy is I think a personal choice not a quality concern. Right? Do you think that DSS products are as good as OMS or DiveRite products?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom