BP/W for a totally newbie diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks everyone! Lots of good info here. One thing I realize is if I go the BP/W route, I probably will not piece together my first rig myself. I'll buy it ready-made or used, learn what I like and then start throwing money at mods!
Buying a used one can be cost beneficial if you get what you need, the number one benefit of the backplate wing rig is that it’s modular. If you are “standard” size backplates are plentiful on the used market but are not really expensive new. Webbing is cheap even if you buy a package delux one and you should end up with all of the hardware you’ll need, you get to put things where you want them and freely move them around until you know exactly where that is. If any part is damaged you only need replace that part (that’s the modular advantage) from multiple sources since most parts are generic.

Wings are the easy/hard part, once again if you choose wisely parts will be generic too, like elbow fittings, gaskets etc. you get to decide how much lift you need/want, choose wisely and you will find a wing with plenty of lift for cold water but is so well streamlined that it offers no disadvantage in warm water, or you can set up a rig strictly for travel.

I don’t get the pocket thing, I’ve never developed the need for one, everything I need on a dive can be clipped off, my drysuit has a pocket that really only gets used to put things I find into, masks trash etc. but those too can be added.

While there are some nice bc’s out there they are damn pricy and the only advantage to the average by is that you don’t have to think about anything or make any choices, want 30lb of lift you got it plus another 15 for free sort of thing.

Lead is something I want to carry to only counteract the buoyancy of my insulation not to sink a bunch of padding but that’s just me.

Don’t over think things and avoid dogma, you can make a bp/w do whatever you want, fit however you want.

So where is a good starting point for lift?

I'm 5'10" and 200#. I'l be diving both sides of Mexico, mostly Sea of Cortez. Single alu tank.

Buying a used one can be cost beneficial if you get what you need, the number one benefit of the backplate wing rig is that it’s modular. If you are “standard” size backplates are plentiful on the used market but are not really expensive new. Webbing is cheap even if you buy a package delux one and you should end up with all of the hardware you’ll need, you get to put things where you want them and freely move them around until you know exactly where that is. If any part is damaged you only need replace that part (that’s the modular advantage) from multiple sources since most parts are generic.

Wings are the easy/hard part, once again if you choose wisely parts will be generic too, like elbow fittings, gaskets etc. you get to decide how much lift you need/want, choose wisely and you will find a wing with plenty of lift for cold water but is so well streamlined that it offers no disadvantage in warm water, or you can set up a rig strictly for travel.

I don’t get the pocket thing, I’ve never developed the need for one, everything I need on a dive can be clipped off, my drysuit has a pocket that really only gets used to put things I find into, masks trash etc. but those too can be added.

While there are some nice bc’s out there they are damn pricy and the only advantage to the average by is that you don’t have to think about anything or make any choices, want 30lb of lift you got it plus another 15 for free sort of thing.

Lead is something I want to carry to only counteract the buoyancy of my insulation not to sink a bunch of padding but that’s just me.

Don’t over think things and avoid dogma, you can make a bp/w do whatever you want, fit however you want.

I’ve periodically thought about removing mine (Dive Rite Pouch), but whenever I open up the little zippered pocket and see everything they I’ve got in there...I just decide to keep it. General usage...whistle, flashlight, and spare truck key for shore dives. Signal mirror stays in there, but it obviously for ocean dives. SMB for ocean dives. Trash...if I happen to come across any.

It’s definitely not something that everyone is going to want, but where dry suits have pockets and there’s such a thing as tech diving shorts (over Wetsuit) with pockets...some folks clearly appreciate them.

So where is a good starting point for lift?

I'm 5'10" and 200#. I'l be diving both sides of Mexico, mostly Sea of Cortez. Single alu tank.
I recommend using this document, by @rsingler with help from others:
Optimal Buoyancy Computer

Respectfully,

James

This. Most of the dives the average person (myself included) is going to do would be satisfied by a 23# wing. However, a ~30# wing offers more configuration flexibility. Ex. I’ve run a HP120 and AL40 with my 32# wing and had plenty of lift to spare.

Diving single tank with a BCD that is good enough for twins is not the same as with a BPW with a doubles wing?
With the disclaimer that I am not a doubles guy.... the problem with a doubles wing on a single tank is that the inner space to let it go outboard of the doubles will cause it to "Taco" around a single tank (air ends up in bubbles wrapped high up the tank). A traditional BCD has the air cell wrapped around the diver... basically cannot "taco."
For the record, I still prefer BPW.... I used my spare ScubaPro Classic the other day to let a friend try my BPW, and it reaffirmed that I have no desire to use a jacket BC.... Ever.... Again!

Respectfully,

James

I’ve periodically thought about removing mine (Dive Rite Pouch), but whenever I open up the little zippered pocket and see everything they I’ve got in there...I just decide to keep it. General usage...whistle, flashlight, and spare truck key for shore dives. Signal mirror stays in there, but it obviously for ocean dives. SMB for ocean dives. Trash...if I happen to come across any.

It’s definitely not something that everyone is going to want, but where dry suits have pockets and there’s such a thing as tech diving shorts (over Wetsuit) with pockets...some folks clearly appreciate them.
True some love them, I think people carry way to much stuff with them for the most part though I do wish I had a truck with a dumb key but now I mostly dive from my old Prius and keep the key inside my suit, very handy for locking and unlocking the car.

With the disclaimer that I am not a doubles guy.... the problem with a doubles wing on a single tank is that the inner space to let it go outboard of the doubles will cause it to "Taco" around a single tank (air ends up in bubbles wrapped high up the tank). A traditional BCD has the air cell wrapped around the diver... basically cannot "taco."
For the record, I still prefer BPW.... I used my spare ScubaPro Classic the other day to let a friend try my BPW, and it reaffirmed that I have no desire to use a jacket BC.... Ever.... Again!

Respectfully,

James

Is there a jacket BCD that you can dive doubles with?

P.S.: I was not suggesting that diving single tank with a doubles wing was a good idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom