BP/W Plus Accessories vs BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gracero

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

For the last 15 years or so I have been diving with a traditional style SeaQuest BCD. Although it has served me well I think it's probably time to replace it.

My general requirements are quite simple. I will always be diving in warm water with a single tank and will be travelling to do so. I have been looking at the merits of back inflation BCDs versus some kind of BP/W setup and obviously there are plenty of both types that meet these requirements.

I'm quite drawn to the simplicity of a BP/W setup however with some of my more specific requirements/preferences I'm not so sure:

1. Easy release shoulder straps. I have had a shoulder reconstructed following an accident and have limited movement in that arm so would probably struggle with fixed straps.
  2. Integrated weights. I know some people advocate using a weight belt but I have used integrated weights for the last 15 years without issue and see no reason to change. I only use about 4kg of lead.
  3. Pockets. On most dives I tend to carry a number of items e.g. a small torch, a macro wet lens etc. With my current BCD I stow these in the BCD pockets.
  4. Reef hook. I frequently dive with a reef hook and line which I currently store in a BCD pocket.

Certainly there are back inflate BCDs that would meet these requirements e.g. Hollis 200 BCD. But what I'm really interested in hearing about is any experience people have with a BP/W setup with accessories that might meet 1-4 above. In particular does adding pockets etc. to a BP/W negate the advantages of a simple setup to such an extent that I might as well use a BCD. Alternatively is there a way of carrying items such as torches, reef hooks that people would recommend that prevents the need to use pockets?

Thanks,

Richard

light:

on the harness
img_1007-jpg.465941.jpg

weights:

upload_2018-6-29_7-32-15.png

Pocket:

upload_2018-6-29_7-32-49.png

or:

upload_2018-6-29_7-33-58.png

Last edited:
As to no. 1 - there are harnesses that have quick releases or cinches to ease the issue of doffing/donning. Most don't use them, but with mobility issues (I too have two surgically repaired shoulders), there are options to implement this..

Halcyon, Dive Rite, etc. make harnesses that adjust...

There are various soft-pack (OMS IQ pack, Dive Rite TransPac) or soft-plate (OxyCheq, HOG, Apeks) systems that give much of the configurability of the BPW (especially wing selection) but come with releasable shoulder straps and are more packable and potentially comfortable, depending on circumstances.

While some of the above may come with ditchable weight pockets that mount to the waistbelt, there are many others available. There are versions that dump with weight carriers like most WI BCDs and ones that just dump the weights out of the bottom by pulling a (well-secured) release handle.

Biggest question may be what is relative cost/benefit of the ease of prepackaging vs. the effort to make the exact thing you want.

@rongoodman : Apex

I own a pair, and they are "okay". The velcro to minimize the pocket really isn't a great idea. They also don't have as many (and types/sizes of) pockets as my old Irikonji....

They also aren't economical..... (what in name brand dive gear is?)

They do seem well constructed though.

Everything is a trade-off

My experience: I got a DSS (Deep Sea Supply) BP/wing I got Tobins harness slide so I can loosen up the left side ( I like it a lot - there are others out there that I am sure I would like too).
For weight I got the SS backplate - so I only use a few pounds of lead - I just use a belt.
I did get some pocket shorts - they work for me.

I like my setup - except when waiting for a boat in the choppy ocean. ( back wings biggest drawback).

1. Integrated weights. I know some people advocate using a weight belt but I have used integrated weights for the last 15 years without issue and see no reason to change. I only use about 4kg of lead.
Depending on how much padding your current BC has, you may find you don't need any lead at all after changing to a BP/W with a steel plate. I use mine for warm water diving in a 3 mm shorty, and I only use about 4 lbs (but I have a lot of bioprene!).

Back
Top Bottom