BP&W question for doubles divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetsuit for a four stage three deco gas dives seems beyond ridiculous to even think about...

Not really if you think of people doing long dives in the ocean during the summer. I have seen people do that level of diving with a 6mm wet suit since water temp was in the mid-80s,and need more lift.

4 stages 3 deco gases and 2 scooters... In the ocean? Yeah, right...

and what exactly do you need the lift for if the gear is neutral?

That just....doesn't compute
I think you'd need 4 stages for a 30min dive on the bottom @ 500ft, or 45-50min @ 300ft with a SAC around .65. Seems reasonable if that's the type of diving you enjoy in a wet suit.

I think you'd need 4 stages for a 30min dive on the bottom @ 500ft, or 45-50min @ 300ft with a SAC around .65. Seems reasonable if that's the type of diving you enjoy in a wet suit.

Heh. And how much deco would you have after those exposures? Certainly wetsuit territory, I'm sure.

Kelly, you're usually spot on, man. What's the deal?

Drysuits aren't required for bigger deco dives, though much past three hours of deco and even I'm ready to put up with the annoyance of donning my Fusion on a small, crowded boat. OTOH, there's no rule that says wetsuit+metric ton of gear=giant ass wing. I remember doing a couple hours of mid-ocean deco from a 270' dive in trunks and a lavacore top, carrying double steel 100s and three deco bottles...wing was an Evolve 40lb or 42lb Vertex extreme. On CCR, 2-4 hour runtimes on 100m dives in a 7mm wetsuit (DPV=cold, cold dive) and I'm toting the steel rEvo with 3L steels, three BO bottles, a DPV...all supported by a 40lb Explorer wing.

However, wetsuit+metric ton of gear better = redundant sources of buoyancy. Bring a second wing, bring a double bladder wing you know how (and how not) to use, bring a couple SMBs...but bring somethings. 40lb wing, 100lb wing...neither one will float you for :censored: if it blows a seam or gets ripped in the wrong spot.

We have gone off course, as is common here.

The nature of the original question posed tends to have an effect on how far the conversation ranges. Here, the OP speculated that perhaps the amount of gear carried justified the huge difference in wing capacities seen in two different diving cultures. That's bound to lead to a discussion of just how much gear would necessitate much over a 60lb wing.

Well I dive 2 x 12 litre and 2 x 5.7 deco and have a 55 lb wing and all seems fine (whether 5mm, 6.5 mm or dry suit). For emergency I also have 2 x 50 lb safety sausage at a pinch if no dry suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom