BP/W vs Travel weight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RossM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I get listing the weight for every combination of the HOG BP/W is kind of ridiculous, but what is the approximate weight of the standard size total buoyancy control system with the soft plate and 32lb wing vs a large HOG travel PRO BCD? I like warm and cold water diving and would prefer to stick with one BCD but weight is a factor with travel.

I get listing the weight for every combination of the HOG BP/W is kind of ridiculous, but what is the approximate weight of the standard size total buoyancy control system with the soft plate and 32lb wing vs a large HOG travel PRO BCD? I like warm and cold water diving and would prefer to stick with one BCD but weight is a factor with travel.
I have the HOG TBCS with soft plate, 32# wing, small weight pockets, trim pockets, ss cam band, and ss tank buckle, trilobite cutter, and an xs scuba pony tamer and it comes in right about 10 lbs

I see that Fishhy has answered your question.

If you happen to be looking for something lightweight for travel and low budget, I recently put this together with Dive Gear Express parts.
... 2lb Aluminum BP, 30lb wing, 2" continuous webbing, 2" crotch strap, 2 light weight cam bands, 2 old halcyon weight pockets.

It weighs 6lbs and cost me $360USD. You could shave another pound by using a soft plate.
1655300633351.png
1655301424306.png

I've got the HOG TBCS with aluminum plate, I took off the shoulder pads from the TBCS system (not needed in my opinion even with shore diving for 2 weeks in Bonaire and they are buoyant and require you to use more weight). With 1 large utility pocket and 1 SMB spool pocket on the waist belt, crotch strap, a trilobyte cutter, 2 upper cam band 5# pockets, 2 three pound weight pouches attached to the upper plate, 32# wing it comes in exactly at 10#.

Easy to travel with.

I used to have a Zeagle Covert XT which was about 6lbs total - while it's not a full BP/W, it's a back inflate style and rolls up really small.
I dove it over 50 dives before moving over to the HOG TBCS. The CovertXT was a great BCD, but I wanted a little more customization. While the HOG is a little heavier and larger rolled up, it does have a lot less tank flop and better trim/customization overall.

I used to have a Zeagle Covert XT which was about 6lbs total - while it's not a full BP/W, it's a back inflate style and rolls up really small.
I dove it over 50 dives before moving over to the HOG TBCS. The CovertXT was a great BCD, but I wanted a little more customization. While the HOG is a little heavier and larger rolled up, it does have a lot less tank flop and better trim/customization overall.
This was very helpful. I think the ability to customize is worth the few extra lbs since I'm looking for a all arounder vs just warm water travel gear.

I've got the HOG TBCS with aluminum plate, I took off the shoulder pads from the TBCS system (not needed in my opinion even with shore diving for 2 weeks in Bonaire and they are buoyant and require you to use more weight). With 1 large utility pocket and 1 SMB spool pocket on the waist belt, crotch strap, a trilobyte cutter, 2 upper cam band 5# pockets, 2 three pound weight pouches attached to the upper plate, 32# wing it comes in exactly at 10#.

Easy to travel with.
This would be my first foray into BP/W. How long did it take to get all the accessories you wanted and dialed in if you don't mind me asking?

it does have a lot less tank flop and better trim/customization overall.
You just brought back memories of how horrible the Aeris Jetpack was in terms of tank flop. Nice idea, poor execution.

Back
Top Bottom