BP/W - what's the go with air movement in the wing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Tobin and Richard,

Thanks very much for your comments. I will go with the HOG harness and ensure that I have some ditch-able weights strapped to me somehow... actually, the DUI recommendation for resting the top of the belt snugly on the hips sounds like the way to go. In the past I have always owned a regular weight-belt and worn it around my waist (which was way too restricting on the diaphragm).

If I use loose bags of shot inside a pouch belt I might be able to spread it out to ensure a fairly flat fit.

Cheers,
Nick

Nick.
Did you make a decision on what to go with?

We are the HOG agent in Oz, and can make you up any harness you desire, with multiple options.
Our 32lb wings retail for $270, but its a great time to get a good deal.

email me sales@subaquatic.com.au for more info.

Nick.
Did you make a decision on what to go with?

We are the HOG agent in Oz, and can make you up any harness you desire, with multiple options.
Our 32lb wings retail for $270, but its a great time to get a good deal.

email me sales@subaquatic.com.au for more info.
Hi Aquamaniac,

Thanks for your interest and offer. I ended up purchasing the Freedom Plate, made by Eric and sold by Scubatoys. It's a great singles plate by all accounts and it really appeals to me. I have it now and am awaiting delivery of an OxyCheq Mach V 32lb wing (in Red, of all colors). The plate is truely a work of art and a great example of form and function in harmony. I'll likely be mating it with a Worthington 119 steel tank (DIN).

I am very interested in the HOG D1 Cold Water 1st Stage and accompanying 2nd Stages. However, I found out about them after placing an order for an Apeks XTX50/DS4/XTX40 (DIN) three-stage set. The DS4 appeals to my sense of simplicity. It's compact and relatively light-weight (compared to the DST, and similar turret designs).

Actually, that is one thing that might be desirable in the HOG D1. A non-turret, compact version like the DS4, or perhaps even the FST.

Cheers,
Nick

I am 90% certain that the reason so many people persist in believing that a donut wing vents easier and distributes gas better than a horseshoe is because virtually all of the horseshoe wings on the market are too big for efficient single tank diving. I think Tobin is the only manufacturer that makes a truly streamlined horseshoe wing that hugs the sides of a single tank, while there are several that make streamlined donut wings.

From experience, I can say that the streamlined horseshoe wing (DSS) vents just as easily and distributes air just as evenly as any small donut wing. The problem that exists with horseshoe wings for single tank use is that most divers are using wings that are too big, like a 'combination' doubles/singles wing.

Hi Mattboy, if I had not gone with the OxyCheq I would have gone with the DSS donut wing. I have read that both fit the Freedom Plate very well.

BTW, thanks to Tobin and others for their assistance.

Cheers,
Nick

Tobin is the only manufacturer that makes a truly streamlined horseshoe wing that hugs the sides of a single tank, while there are several that make streamlined donut wings.

Not the Only!! Halcyon's Wings are extremely streamlined and preform great in the water as well.

I actually was disappointed that Deep Sea Supply did not make it out to "The Beneath the Sea" dive show. I would have liked to see their product in person.

Notable BTS No SHOWS OxyCheq, HOG, Deep Sea Supply.

When talking with divers at the show they also were curious to check these vendors out to compare in person but couldn't. None the less, BTS was well attended and a great show.

My Halcyon Pioneer 27 is a horseshoe

Cheers. The only single wings I have seen have been donut so I was wondering what else was around. I couldn't see the Pioneer on their website?

Back
Top Bottom