BP/Wing People: How essential is a STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BP/Wing soon-to-be newbie here. I seem to be hearing two general thoughts about single tank adapters.

It seems like one can wrap the tank bands directly through the plate, or opt for a single tank adapter. In the former case, my understanding is that the wing can sort of 'hang loose' on the tank straps when the setup isn't mounted on a tank. This seems like it'd be somewhat annoying after a while. I don't anticipate diving doubles any time soon, and am looking to move to a BP/Wing rig.

Would you recommend strapping the tank bands directly to the plate, or investing the money in a STA setup? Input is appreciated.

Don't worry about the wing being loose. Easily fixed

Backplate Assembly Screws and Nuts - Dive Gear Express

STA or not is more of a personal perference. I myself prefer STA because I want the tank to be further away from me to alliviate the head banging 1st stage issue.

Additional advantage of STA is that if you need to take the wing on and off often, then STA make things easier (with one exception case). Say you want to disassemble the rig for travel ..... With STA you won't need to take camband off.

The one exception is DSS setup. The wing can come off without undoing camband. I think DSS has the best implementation of STA-ness single tank design.

Thanks for all of the input! Choosing a first BP rig is somewhat daunting since there's so much choice out there, tons of mix/match possibility, and lots of strong opinions one way or the other.

I think I'll opt for the STA at first. The more weight on my back, the better. 2lb is 2lb, and it also seems to be much more convenient with regards to setup/teardown. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up going DiveRite for my purchase. Does anybody have experience with their 35# Voyager wing?

Thanks for all of the input! Choosing a first BP rig is somewhat daunting since there's so much choice out there, tons of mix/match possibility, and lots of strong opinions one way or the other.

I think I'll opt for the STA at first. The more weight on my back, the better. 2lb is 2lb, and it also seems to be much more convenient with regards to setup/teardown. I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up going DiveRite for my purchase. Does anybody have experience with their 35# Voyager wing?

A BP/W is not a daunting decision, you are complicating it by trying to save a few dollars by buying used and mixing brands. If you want Dive Rite, NESS, DGX, Dolphin, Cave Adventurers, and probably several more all have package deals starting at $300. They are authorized dealers and you will have a warranty on the wing. If you add up shipping costs and such you are probably not saving as much as you think. Unless you find a real killer deal on the wing, the most I think you will save is around $50.

My advice is to make a list of the gear you need: backplate, wing, harness & crotch strap, cam bands, and STA (optional) and price them out used and use that to compare with new.

To add a further complication, some wings with built-in STAs do not work well with STAs and people are forced to remove the built-in STAs.

Ams, perhaps I should clarify. I'm personally not looking to mix brands, I've simply seen that lots of people suggest and recommend it. I think it has the potential to cause a headache, personally. From what I can tell, many brands have their own bolt pattern, etc. that can make mix/matching a bit difficult.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a DiveRite setup. Halcyon is beyond my budget, and DSS is stretching it, although they do look like quality stuff. I'm wrestling with the idea of picking up the components used vs pricing a package out at DGX, and you're right, shipping is a real killer, especially on the plates; your input is much appreciated. :D

The only thing standard on a plate is the 11" distance between the bolts on the back of the plate. After that it is different. Some shops sell their own brand of plate which is copied from a name brand so it will take that brand's accessories. If you don't use an STA the slots of the wing must line up with the slots in the plate. Most do some don't. It is better for the shop to check the fit so you don't get any unpleasant surprises.

In your price range besides Dive Rite you could look at HOG, Hollis, or Manta. Dolphin runs a Dive Rite deal pretty regularly on Amazon with a steel plate and an STA for $380 less 10% and the shipping is under $10. This is cheaper than DGX as long as you do not get charged sales tax.

I usually dive doubles. But when the odd occasion to dive a single tank comes - I use a Hollis BP/W with the 28 pound Hollis Wing and no STA. The cam straps secure the tank nicely / firmly to the plate - and haven't had a problem banging my head.

- Bjorn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom