Brag/Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

voidware

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Put yourself in my position: you love to dive and you are going to graduate from high school in 4 months. Are you feeling the joy yet? Okay, the other day my parents offered me a chance to do quite possibly the coolest thing I could ever imagine--spend three weeks this summer in the British Virgin Islands living on a boat, port-hopping, and getting my divemaster. I have enough dives. I just need to spend the weekend getting Rescue.

OK, to get to the question-> I rig my gear DIR. Should I return to standard rigging before venturing down there?

thanks,
brandon

I'm not sure why you would have to change it. The DIR setup meets standards for all the agencies, as far as I can tell. Of course you wouldn't need the lift bag and reel, and any other "tech" gear. You would have to clip a whistle on somewhere and carry a snorkel, but everything else seems okay. The only real reason TO change the setup is because your DM instructors might not like it. Anybody else think he should keep the setup?

Neil

Originally posted by Ferrara
Uncle Pug,
Why?

Human nature demands it Ferrara,

As a LDS owner & PADI/IANTD instructor you are no doubt aware of the bias against DIR that a DM candidate could face....

Why should Voidware incure that handicap?
He is not embarking upon a career track with GUE....

How many PADI/IANTD instructors have been fired from their LDS for taking a DIR class???

I know one....
There are others....

No, not if you're comfortable with it. It's only when you present yourself as a macho swaggering he-man diver simply because you're DIR that pisses people off. But then, I've run into divers with non-DIR (aka "stroke") gear that do that to. Stick with what you like, but keep in mind that if you work for a shop as a DM, you're also part salesman, and most of the time they want you to use gear that they sell.

BTW, do you think your folks would adopt me so I can go with you? Do you need a brother? :D

Originally posted by voidware
Put yourself in my position: you love to dive and you are going to graduate from high school in 4 months. Are you feeling the joy yet? Okay, the other day my parents offered me a chance to do quite possibly the coolest thing I could ever imagine--spend three weeks this summer in the British Virgin Islands living on a boat, port-hopping, and getting my divemaster. I have enough dives. I just need to spend the weekend getting Rescue.

OK, to get to the question-> I rig my gear DIR. Should I return to standard rigging before venturing down there?

thanks,
brandon

Uncle Pug,
You are of course correct.
voidware,
The point greg made is also of value. The lds will expect you (as a pro) to promote what they sell. As a lds owner I am able to avoid this conflict of interest. Or should I say... trade it for others. Retail and good diving/training conflict often. As in any other job one must at times yield to the will of the employer. As an lds owner the employer is the public. Sometimes my beliefs go over like a lead balloon. Enjoy the trip. Don't compromise safety. Learn what you can. Later, apply it as you see fit and choose your battles.

Hi Brandon,

Using a DIR setup and becoming a DM with say, PADI are not mutually exclusive. But, here's the rub.

First, assisting open water dives in DIR configuration is no big deal.

For confined water, the issues get a little cloudy. I prefer a consistent setup. If you showed up with BP/wings, it's no big deal. As a matter of fact, I'd show you off as an example of various gear configurations. All BCs and BP/wings consist of a bladder, a way to secure a tank, a way to secure it to your body and a way to add/subract air.

Now, the problem arises with training, demonstration and being able to use you for demonstrations. As an example, let's take an AIR2, not even a DIR piece of gear. It's good to show students what it looks like and how it works, but when it comes down to demonstrations, I won't be able to use you, unless I decide to train ALL my students two methods of alternate air source use. This can be a real pain. The same is true with a long hose and neck bungied alternate.

As a DM you should check with your instructor about your gear configuration. It's really up to them as to their preference.

The simplest approach would be to keep your BP/wings and carry some non-DIR length hoses for your primary and alternate. That should cover it.

No one is going to care if your 1st stage has no swivel.

If your summer is going to be with Sail Caribbean, you will have a blast and get great training. I know these folks well.

I have used my DIR gear configuration in Dive Master with no problem. Most people up here don't even know what it is, much less care. The dive shop I'm through doesn't sell any of the gear I use or use anything similar to my configuration.

Don't change. If they don't like it... tough :). DIR is easy to defend, so you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't get swelled head :wink: :D.

Take care, and let us know how it worked out.

Mike

I'm not sure what part of DMing may be the problem....

If you are assisting instructors as part of the DM job, you might find yourself on the surface more talking to the students and assisting.

If that is the case, a vest style BC might make it more comfortable on the surface.

It is also easier on the students sometimes if the staff wear the same style of kit as they are learning on.

Of course if you are DMing a dive - wear what is best for you and the conditions and the dive proifile.

My two cents (Canadian for what it is worth )

Hmmm all summer in the Carib, and not old enough to drink.. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom