Brand new dive site damaged by fishing trawler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MoonWrasse

Contributor
Reaction score
The Coral Reef Squadron, comprising some WW2 aircraft which were recently sunk just 6 months ago to create a new dive site off Phuket have already been damaged by wayward fishing boats.

Lol, Captain Somchai Hazelwood reporting for duty...

PHUKET: One of the airplanes at the artificial reef dive site off Phuket known as the ªàoral Reef Squadron has been damaged after being hit by the anchor of a fishing trawler.

Rainer Gottwald, CEO of the Thai Dive Association (TDA) technical committee, said the damage probably occurred on the night of April 10. It was discovered the following day.

A second plane had a fishing net entangled on it, indicating damage by a trawler.

Since the ten aircraft were lowered into the sea off Phuket in November last year, sponges and shells have begun to accumulate on the hulls, yet the part of the plane struck by the anchor chain had been wiped clean by the impact, Mr Gottwald said.

TDA divers and Cherng Talay Tambon Administration Organization officials visited the site on Wednesday to inspect the damage. They were able to remove most of the fishing net.

Strong currents had caused further damage to the plane hit by the anchor, Mr Gottwald said.

Fishing trawlers disregard instructions not to trawl near the site, though the TDA has yet to catch one of them in the act, he explained.

Trawling is prohibited by law anywhere within a 3,000-meter exclusion zone from land.

The Coral Reef Squadron site is marked by buoys, so there is little question of crews simply not knowing it is there.

«ñhey already know where it is. They have GPS systems; they have fish finders; and they have sonar, so they will know where it is, Mr Gottwald said.

Fishermen are not the only ones damaging the artificial reef, however.

Divers had further damaged the site by taking souvenirs. One of the helicopters blades has even been removed and several switches have also been removed from aircraft.

Phuket dive site damaged by trawler

What is a TDA diver?

Thai(land) Dive Association.
An offspring association of CMAS that is trying to get a firm foothold in the recreational diving industry in Thailand.
They have their own website (TDA Diving Association (Thailand) - CMAS Thailand) and were somewhat involved in creating the "Underwater Squadron" airplane wreck-site at Bangtao in Phuket.

I am not saying I agree with this sort of thing from any boat damaging the marine environment, because I certainly do not, but I can understand why it happens when fishermen are trying to earn a living from the sea, maybe some cases are genuinely accidental and some will certainly be to increase catches and proffits.
But what I find to be totaly unbelievable is when dive boats behave in a manner that damages the underwater world that we all enjoy, and they still continue to behave with a total disregard for the marine life that the future of their own businesses depends???
Just take a days diving in Pattaya, and you will witness yourself the gradual destruction of already at best 'average' dive sites.

Question: was this site identified to the public so fishing vessels would know of its presence? I hate when this happens, of course, but I doubt the fishing boats wanted to lose their net either. Unless the site is made known, fishing vessels would not know to steer clear of it (and I assume they would to avoid loss of expensive equipment).

Not a fan of such fishing practices, but...

In my experience Aluminium aircraft wrecks won't last long anyway, the ones we've got in the Gulf are a random spread of pieces unrecognisable as planes. Warm water, marine life and current will do away with them , I reckon.

Question: was this site identified to the public so fishing vessels would know of its presence?

Yes it was.
It's marked with mooring buoys as well and it's located in the no-trawling/commercial fishing zone fairly close to shore.

Divers had further damaged the site by taking souvenirs. One of the helicopters blades has even been removed and several switches have also been removed from aircraft.

I doubt if the helicopter blade was taken as a souvenir by scuba divers. I think it's more likely someone made a few extra Baht with selling it as scrap metal....

Yes it was.
It's marked with mooring buoys as well and it's located in the no-trawling/commercial fishing zone fairly close to shore.

Well, that certainly changes the picture! Thank you. Has anyone tried attaching limpet mines to the boats that would enter such waters?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom