Brands that we like (and we don't)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nwflyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm shopping for new gear (BCs, regs & computer). I've been diving for many years, but have always used rental gear (at least for BCs, regs and computers - we've got our own masks, fins, wetsuits, etc.). I'm still in the process of sorting out what I want/need, and am also trying to come to grips with which brands to favor or stay away from.

I probably will go with the more well-known, major brands for life-support gear, feeling more comfortable with names I've seen (and probably used) for years. But beyond that (famous versus never-heard-of-them), I really don't have much of a sense for which brands are well known for having a good warrantee (and standing behind it without a lot of hassles), which companies have a record of good customer service, which gear has a reputation for quality and durability. :idk:

FWIW, all our diving is travel diving, at the end of a string of long flights. So the gear we're looking for should be optimized for that - light weight/compact, good for travel and warm water. No cold water, technical, exotic stuff needed (not that there's anything wrong with that, of course, it's just not what we want).

I suppose some of you might have opinions on gear brands that you might be willing to share. :popcorn:

I'm looking for that. So which brands of gear do you feel good about, and which do you stay away from - and why?

Thanks.

If I had to repurchase regulators I would choose Atomic as they are designed to only require servicing every two years, eliminating expense and inconvenience...

By the way, you should request this thread be moved to a general forum..

I stay away from Oxycheq, because they have a bad track record of not standing behind defective equipment, either for their direct customers or for their dealers.

I do like Deep Sea Supply for superb customer service, and Light Monkey lights for the same reason.

I like the Mares Abyss 22 regulator for the same reason, only requires servicing every 2 years/200 dives plus it breathes well of course. I also have an Atomic reg and both are very solid.

I like HOG gear in general. Great prices and great products. Have good service from the LDS as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom