Brass and glass SPG's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutch552

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Where is the best place to buy a brass and glass SPG? My LDS only carries OMS gauges for insane prices. I do not need a $125 gauge, just one that will do the job.

In the last 2 months in search of the perfect B&G SPG for my new summer BP/W I have purchased the following with enclosed results:

Tusa SCA 110: small lexan case/acrylic face. Very small, superduper light but if you take off the rubber boot, it rattles just a bit.

Dive Rite mini SPG: bare brass body/acrylic face. Rattles like it contains jumping beans and face a bit hard to see.

XS Scuba full size 2.5 SPG: bare brass body/glass face. Heavy enough to double for use as an Ab tenderizer. An object of beauty if weight no issue.

XS Scuba compact 2 SPG: like above but no good for whacking Abs as it is 20% lighter. For me, the perfect tradeoff between weight and legibility. For some reason, the brass case on mine is finished better than the full size version.

BTW Phil at Divesports has a smokin deal on XS SPGs for SB members - dig around on the forums for secret ordering instructions.

Hope this helps.

Izu:
In the last 2 months in search of the perfect B&G SPG for my new summer BP/W I have purchased the following with enclosed results:

Tusa SCA 110: small lexan case/acrylic face. Very small, superduper light but if you take off the rubber boot, it rattles just a bit.

Dive Rite mini SPG: bare brass body/acrylic face. Rattles like it contains jumping beans and face a bit hard to see.

XS Scuba full size 2.5 SPG: bare brass body/glass face. Heavy enough to double for use as an Ab tenderizer. An object of beauty if weight no issue.

XS Scuba compact 2 SPG: like above but no good for whacking Abs as it is 20% lighter. For me, the perfect tradeoff between weight and legibility. For some reason, the brass case on mine is finished better than the full size version.

BTW Phil at Divesports has a smokin deal on XS SPGs for SB members - dig around on the forums for secret ordering instructions.

Hope this helps.

I picked up two of the 2.5 inch models from Phil a few months ago. They are hardy and should last forever. I like the bigger model as it's just easier to read. I think they were about $60 each.

I have the XS scuba ones in stock. If I can help anyone out with them PM me.

Brent

Another vote for TDL aka Tech Diving Limited. They have taken great care of me. The first time I called them, they came up with parts no one else had in stock. A brand new item was shipped with a manufacturer's defect, and they took care of it no questions asked.

TDL is out of the smaller ones right now (or so they told me last week). Website numbers do not reflect product in hand. Soggy is also cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom