• brass

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • stainless steel

Votes: 79 78.2%
  • other

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know this has probably been asked a billion times around here, but which size snap works well in cold water (dry gloves, etc)?

I can never tell by the picture, and the numbers are all but meaningless to me.

Doof once bubbled...
I know this has probably been asked a billion times around here, but which size snap works well in cold water (dry gloves, etc)?

I can never tell by the picture, and the numbers are all but meaningless to me.

That depends on what you put it on, how good you are with fiddling, and what your technique is.

For example, in some places I like to have a big snap with a big ring that I can stick my finger in, in other places a small snap will work fine. Buy a few different sizes, and experiement.

If you clip stuff off in the pocket you probably don't want to huge ones for that.

In terms of reliability and endurance both work well. Many of us had no choice in the past since brass was all that was available for small items. The stainless "safety pin" fish stringer is unequaled if you are a good shot. For bcd accessories stainless is in! P.

I've been considering switching some of my plastic & brass quick connects for tied-off SS, but had a couple of questions:

1. For rec diving , the quick connects (pinch to release buckles) are pretty handy for lights, console etc. I KNOW it's not DIR, but are there significant reasons to abandon these?

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
If you clip stuff off in the pocket you probably don't want to huge ones for that.

2. I really like the idea of clipping things off in the pocket, as it's always been a concern of mine that if I open a pocket and started fumbling for something, I might lose something else. Can I just go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy some of their 1/8" bungie cord for this? What about the ends fraying? Will that last? If so, I might replace my surgical tube octo holder with bungie as well. Thoughts?

3. Finally, if switch to tying things off to SS bolts, where can I pick just a few yards of line? I guess I could cut some off a reel, but...

Allen42 once bubbled...
I've been considering switching some of my plastic & brass quick connects for tied-off SS, but had a couple of questions:

1. For rec diving , the quick connects (pinch to release buckles) are pretty handy for lights, console etc. I KNOW it's not DIR, but are there significant reasons to abandon these?

Plastic will fail catastrophically without warning. Other divers might not want to dive with you if it looks like you'd rather save a dollar or two than have something sturdy as part of your rig...

If you're diving DIR, there is no need for the plastic stuff. Also, if you use bolt snaps and get used to them, you'll have a much easier time operating them.

I really like bolt snaps, and don't miss the plastic junk at all. In fact, I like it so much that I keep thinking I might find a way to use them on my windsurfing harness. :wink:

2. I really like the idea of clipping things off in the pocket, as it's always been a concern of mine that if I open a pocket and started fumbling for something, I might lose something else. Can I just go to Lowes/Home Depot and buy some of their 1/8" bungie cord for this? What about the ends fraying? Will that last? If so, I might replace my surgical tube octo holder with bungie as well. Thoughts?

If Lowes has it, go for it, otherwise any marine store has it.

It'll last a really long time and it will show serious signs of wear long before it fails. The ends may fray, but only up to the knot. Just keep the area past the knot relatively short and it won't look sloppy.

If you are really worried about it, there is a technique called whipping which you may want to do a search for on some marine sites. You'll neeed a marlinspike kit to do it right. Probably not worth the hassle.

3. Finally, if switch to tying things off to SS bolts, where can I pick just a few yards of line? I guess I could cut some off a reel, but...

You won't even need that much, a few feet of line will be plenty. Just take it off your reel. If you want to order it you'll have to get several hundred feet on a spool.

You mean there's another way, other than taking it from a spool/reel?

In the dozens of times I've tied something off... Clips to lights, hoses, etc... I've maybe used 3' of my 100' spool. And heck, the 100' spool isn't very likely exactly 100' to begin with. No offense, you guys, but isn't this a little rententive?

Cut off a bit of line and make the knot... Then trim it close and burn the edges to get it right.

Details on how to attach bolt snaps are here:

http://www.mindspring.com/~toddleonard/caverig/howknot.html

Stainless, for me, please... No maintenance, other than normal rinsing. If they get sticky, I lube them, but replacing doesn't cost but a few bucks a year.

With 30 years of extensive diving experience my impression of which is better is neither.

Brass works just fine, if there are any sharp edges they should be smoothed over but I have never encoutered this problem.

"Plastic" is a cheap and demeaning term for the materials that are actually used to manufacture most of these buckles and clips. If maintained properly they should never fail and if they do get close they are cheap to replace. . They do seem to get ugly quick however.

I dive mostly with Stainless Steel but the only reason is that I like its appearance over the other two options.

Kevin Parkhurst

Back
Top Bottom