Breaking news: Alabama student drowns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is funny, how last Wednesday, I was worried about my son's scuba lesson. I called and explicitly voiced my concern about this accident with my son's instructor.

For some reason, the instructor took my son in the deep end of the pool that night, and started to practice the reg retrieval drill. He has never done it before, and stuck the wet reg into his mouth. He panicked, and swam for the surface. Fortunately, his larynx was open, and he was fine. But it scared the heck out of me.

The instructor then took him to the shallow end, and they did multiple drills. I don't know why he decided to go into the deep end first. Another instructor was in the pool at the same time, and practiced the same drill on the shallow end first.

It is funny, regardless of how many time I've talked to him about this, when panic comes, you forget everything you've read in the book or talked about.

It reemphasizes the need to work on skills at shallow end before you do deep end. It reemphasizes the need for horizontal CESA before you do vertical CESA.

Instructors should not take this lightly.

Lead_carrier:
Sincerest condolences to the family. It's never easy to lose someone, especially when they have so much of life to look forward too.

http://www.al.com/news/press-register/index.ssf?/base/news/1176974235195340.xml&coll=3

Did anyone else notice that on the last paragraph on this report that it says the instructor was a master diver? I wonder if this was a misprint, misqoute or what?

That's the worst term any agency could have come up with.... a fricking Master Diver , after what 50 dives??...give me a break, a Master is a master, not a neophyte......sorry, bad terminolgy IMO......

mike_s:
The Master Diver rating in Padi is just someone who has 5 speciality ratings and rescue cert. Naui, it's a seperate class, but somewhat similar in requirements (depending on specialty classes taken).

Thalassamania:
NAUI Master Diver has nothing whatever to do with specialty courses, it is based on the idea that the student demonstrates the same level of knowledge an skill expected of a NAUI Instructor except for the teaching and class control material.

I wasn't implying the NAUI MD was a speciality course. (I said it was a seperate course above). I personally think that NAUI's Master Diver course is a much better course over the PADI one. Just taking 5 speciality coures (PADI) doesn't make anyone a master, it's ijust PADI's way of selling more courses.

I have to ask a totally uneducated question here as we are just beginning our training, can you not feel the pressure building in your chest? I would think it would take some doing to hold back the building pressure.

We are taking the PADI books and videos to heart. Everytime we see someone take a regulator or snorlke out of your mouth, someone is always saying aaaaahhhhhhh. !!

WaltnShar:
I have to ask a totally uneducated question here as we are just beginning our training, can you not feel the pressure building in your chest? I would think it would take some doing to hold back the building pressure.

We are taking the PADI books and videos to heart. Everytime we see someone take a regulator or snorlke out of your mouth, someone is always saying aaaaahhhhhhh. !!

It's maybe like dying in the electric chair, no one(almost) has lived to tell experiences????.....

godivegirl:
I know most things are possible, just not plausible for someone to "fatally damage his lungs" in 20 feet of water. There has to be more to the story. Does anyone else see this as odd?

Condolences to the family and friends.

Nope. AGE (arterial gas embolism) has been documented to occur with an ascent of only 2 fsw (albeit at shallow depths - such as a pool). The most problematic part of a dive as far as AGE, POPS, etc. goes is the last 30 ft to the surface (greatest volume change (+) in relation to decreasing pressure differential.

MikeFerrara:
Supposedly the lungs can be damaged by an over pressurization of just a couple of PSI. That means that an ascent of just a few feet with full lungs and a closed airway is sufficient to cause damage.

Correct and well-documented.

WaltnShar:

You can't reliably feel the buildup in pressure in your chest. Also, remember even though we are all of the human race and share similar organ systems, etc., there is a wide range of variation in anatomy from one individual to another. Some people are born with blebs ("blisters") on their lung surfaces that make them especially prone to POPS (Pulmonary Over-Pressurization Syndrome). These are not visible on routine X-rays and remain asymptomatic until they rupture and cause a pneumothorax, pneumomediastinum, etc.

I have seen pneumomediastinum in divers spearfishing (task-loaded) @ 20 fsw; conversely, I had a patient that did an emergency ascent due to OOA @ 60 fsw (yeah, don't ask!) where the last thing he remembers is inflating his BC as high as it would go. His girlfriend on the boat said he shot out of the water 3-4 ft, "like a Polaris missle"! - and despite multiple tests, xrays, CT of chest, etc. had no demonstrable barotrauma.

These accidents are commonly a combination of circumstances and preexisting conditions that together combine for a poor outcome.

FWIW, I CREEP UP from my last stops at 20 and 10 ft.

fisherdvm:
PADI regulator recovery: ..... You will practice both methods of recovery .... Italics - Remember to make the A a a a a h h h sound underwater whenever the regulator is not in your mouth. " This is the last sentence and itilicized for emphasis.

SSI regulator recovery - this emphasis is buried within the first sentence, not high lighted, and surrounded by alot of wordiness, but is as followed " If the second-stage comes out of your mouth while under water, rember first to keep exhaling and not to hold your breath. To retrieve the second stage:"

PADI discussion on CESA: "Rather than just exhaling, make a continous A aaa hhh sound as you exhale during your ascent".

SSI discussion on ESA, again, buried in alot of verbage and excessive discussion of the weight belt and when to release it, " 3. Vent air from the lungs by continously exhaling".
Your characterization of the two agencies' presentation is ridiculous. There is nothing "wordy" about "If the second stage comes out of your mouth while under water, remember first to keep exhaling." I could just as easily say "SSI emphasizes exhalation in the first sentence, while PADI buries it in the last one."
Ridiculous.
Now, obviously, in this case the message didn't get through well enough to save this youngster's life, but before you start pointing fingers at agencies you'd better be prepared to defend every case of PADI trained embolism out there, and there are plenty.
In my experience every Scuba course I've ever seen, regardless of agency affiliation - and I've seen a few in the last 40 years - has, from the very first pool session, emphasized an open airway, in some form similar to this: "The number one rule of Scuba is 'never hold your breath.' Always breathe. If the regulator is out of your mouth, breathing is exhaling. Always breathe. I never want to see your mouth closed; it either has a mouthpiece in it or there are bubbles coming out of it. Always breathe." And I for one make sure that the "exhale whenever the regulator is out of the mouth" is demonstrated consistently before ever taking students out of the shallow end of the pool with compressed air - and every pool session hears "What's the number one rule of Scuba?" and gets the answer "Always breathe; never hold your breath" more than once. That's the SSI way.
Even with all that emphasis, we still have the occasional embolism from breath-holding ascents, though this is the first one I've ever heard of in an SSI pool session. Like Thass, I'm very curious about several specifics in this mishap... but SSI's OW text is quite clear in the need to exhale for anyone who can read.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom