Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here... the truth is revealed..... it was Capt Jack Sparrow that sank the Ady Gil! :thumb:

pirates-of-the-caribbean-jack-sparrow-and-will-turner-caption-generator.php

I'm sure the SS would leave them alone, if they would just leave the whales alone! For many, many years the vast majority of humans and nations have been counseling/asking/telling the Japanese to quit this farce of whale research but no, they just continue as they please, so it seems to me that the stupidity of the Japanese to continue this farce when their own people are not even that interested in eating whale meat is the root stupidity.

An American lecturing another the citizens of another sovereign nation on stupidity and arrogance to do as it pleases.... priceless.

Iraq much?
Israel much?
Kyoto much?

I think you'll find that "stupid" American foreign policy - in the face of world opinion - has caused tens of thousands of human deaths but let's not worry too much about these those Muslims or Afghans shall we? Let's worry about a few hundred whales in a population of hundreds of thousands.

Sort your own house out before trying to claim the moral right to lecture other sovereign state to stop its own - legal - activities.

Another Angle..

Can anyone identify what the two "SS" crew are trying to toss onto the Japanese ship after impact? Something to snag nets or?

YouTube - Whale Wars - Yushin Maru Video Footage - Collision

first. it's pretty clear to me that they weren't "Dead in the water" in this shot. the Steve Irwin is RAMMING the other ship.

second they are throwing a line and net overboard trying to foul the propellers of the whaling ship. fouling the props of any vessel on the high seas is a serious issue. do it thousands of miles from port and it's a bigger problem. add on arctic cold waters..... you get the idea.

third
- they stated earlier that they were throwing "sink grenades" earlier. I imagine that's what the small items they were throwing were.

pure amateurs..... if ever this was a case where they needed a "potato gun" to launch their "stink grenades with :thumb: :rofl3:

“We intend to bankrupt the whalers,” said Captain Paul Watson.

By the way, he isn't a Captain. He just likes calling himself one, even though he never earned the title.

A Reporter at Large: Neptune’s Navy : The New Yorker

Several years after ramming the Sierra, Watson gave himself the title of captain, though he does not have a captain’s license. “He loves to dress up in uniform, as ‘Captain Paul Watson,’ and suddenly there’s enough gold braid on his shoulders to skipper the Queen Mary,” David Sellers, an old friend and former Sea Shepherd crew member, told me. In the eighties, Sellers and Watson fought so bitterly over the seaworthiness of Watson’s ship that they did not speak for fifteen years. (Sellers, a licensed captain, had insisted that it was not safe for ocean travel.) Many of Watson’s colleagues from the seventies and eighties no longer work with him; they have grown tired either of the campaigns or of Watson’s style of leadership—“anarchy run by God,” a longtime volunteer called it. “He doesn’t like people who disagree with him.”

Yeah then they would not have the chance for drama and ratings, and not to mention the new dive site!!:D

Watson says his legacy is in Hollywood's hands now.

He's been spending time with Sean Penn during the past six months, he says. This year's Academy Award-winning actor is preparing to play Watson in a movie that will focus on his 1979 whaler-ramming in Portugal.

Watson understands the power of film.

"We live in a media culture, so that when Sean Penn becomes me, he'll be more me than I've ever been," he says. "And not only that, but what was not acceptable will become acceptable. Society might frown upon what you do, but when they make a motion picture about you then, hey, it's OK."

He smiles. "It even worked for Bonnie and Clyde."

I keep hearing Ring Stars song "They're gonna put me in the movies, they're gonna make a big star out of me"
I will reiterate.... After watching video from different vantage points....

The Ady Gil was almost stationary leading up to the collision. Want proof? Look at the wake of the Ady Gil on the Japanese video, there isn't any wake. The Ady Gil was almost dead in the water as the Japanese whaling ship apprached at a high rate of speed.

As the Ady Gil accelerated, the Japanese whaling ship made a last-second correction to port to ensure that it rammed the Ady Gil squarely.

As a side note.... Even in war, the victors at sea stopped to rescue the vanquished. Except the Japanese... In WWII the Japanese stopped to KILL the vanquished. Says a lot about the Japanese culture.

The Ady Gil was in position, a quick shot of throttle, the Barker was dead ahead filming, Bingo! a made for TV media event-with all the drama of a reality show.

Why would the whaler stop, the Barker was in position dead ahead, ready to throw nets, rope and any entanglement hazard it could at the whaler if it could get close enough. The Barker was standing by waiting to pick up the crew of the Ady Gil after the staged collision.

call me crazy.. but port is Left. the Ady Gill was on the right (starboard). how could it make a turn to Port to ram it? (if it was on the right) :idk:

If you watch the last few seconds before impact, the Ady Gil was dead in the water but then accelerated as it became apparent that it was going to be rammed by the Japanese whaling ship.

The Japanese whaling ship would have then rammed the stern of the Ady Gil at an angle.

But at the very last second the Japanese whaling ship turned slightly to port (left) and got itself lined up perpendicular to the Ady Gil that was now accelerating from the whaling ship's starboard to port.

You've got to watch footage from all vantage points and analyze relative motions. It is easly to be fooled by if you don't analyze the relative movements properly. Ever been sitting in a stationary train and had an adjacent train start moving? You briefly get an illusion that your train is moving, not the other train.

Watch closely. Look at the wake. The Ady Gil was almost dead in the water until the Japanese whaling ship make a radical turn to ram it.

S. In the eighties, Sellers and Watson fought so bitterly over the seaworthiness of Watson’s ship that they did not speak for fifteen years. (Sellers, a licensed captain, had insisted that it was not safe for ocean travel.) ”

it's hard to keep a ship sea worthy with Granola.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom