Breaking news from the whale wars

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There used to be much more pages than that :wink:
About 100 infact..
Still, according to IUCN neither the common or antarctic minke whales is classified as threatened (which covers the classifications voulnerable, endangered, critically endangered).
The Brydes whale, which has been mentioned previously in this thread is more dodgy, as its actually not known wether its infact just one species or several different species. If theres several species the less comon ones could be threatened.
I dont think however that going hunting Brydes whales to figure out if its threatened or not is quite the right thing to do, Im sure we have the technology to take tissue samples to atleast analyze genetics without killing them..

The Ady Gil was just sitting in the water, hardly moving. The Whaler Captain made obvious turns to put his boat too close to the Ady Gil. His was the onus to stay clear; he did not. The Ady Gil did not cause the collision by not going anywhere for over 2 minutes!

If you keep repeating this nonsense, I will keep refuting it. You have no way of knowing what course corrections the whaler captain commanded, and the course deviations shown on video are more likely to be the bow swinging around as normal in heavy seas.

If you repeat a lie 1,000 times, it won't automatically become the truth.

They rarely take close to a thousand whales per year. Do not exaggerate for effect. I believe they have taken about 17000 over 25 years. 5500 of those are objected to, the rest they had IWC permits for.

They do not have IWC permits! They issue themselves a permit under the ancient IWRC. You only read the history that suits your side of the argument. The IWC has repeatedly asked/begged/demanded that Japan not kill whales. The IWC has never issued a permit to kill whales to Japan as far as I can find on line. All the kills you speak of are objected to by the vast majority of nations in the World. Japan has had the same numbers on the permit is gives itself for the last 3 years; they intend to kill 900 Minke every year. The reason they have not is Sea Shepherds.

What point are you making here?

Define 'control'

This doesn't hold much sway given it is coming from you, rather than others. Complimenting oneself for control and not jumping to conclusions really changes nothing about how you and your opinions will be seen. I mean I could say 'all my friends think I'm so awesome, so pretty, always right and have the best knowledge about everything'. What would you make of this if I said it? :wink:

Perhaps if we count how many posts each participant had removed from this thread, and then subtracted the ones that were only removed because of a quoted TOS violation. The only posts of mine removed were quoted TOS violations as I recall. that is what I brought up control to show. If you have no control over your argument you have no argument!

Okay, I'm glad we reached a consensus. Killing whales is wrong, idiotic and unnecessary.

Now, let's close this thread and get back to diving.

They do not have IWC permits! They issue themselves a permit under the ancient IWRC. You only read the history that suits your side of the argument. The IWC has repeatedly asked/begged/demanded that Japan not kill whales. The IWC has never issued a permit to kill whales to Japan as far as I can find on line. All the kills you speak of are objected to by the vast majority of nations in the World. Japan has had the same numbers on the permit is gives itself for the last 3 years; they intend to kill 900 Minke every year. The reason they have not is Sea Shepherds.

Yes they do have IWC permits, for scientific research, that they are allowed to issue to themselves. This comes under Article VIII of the 1946 Convention and is found on the IWC website. Japan is in the IWC you know, and can issue permits under the IWC rules.

Doc Harry, if you don't like to read about the issues here and would prefer to dive, please don't post here and don't read it. I personally can only dive on two days a week, so need to fill the rest of my time somehow.

If you keep repeating this nonsense, I will keep refuting it. You have no way of knowing what course corrections the whaler captain commanded, and the course deviations shown on video are more likely to be the bow swinging around as normal in heavy seas.

If you repeat a lie 1,000 times, it won't automatically become the truth.

The fact that you are refuting it is one of the stronger arguments that I am right. Just like another who's first post in this thread claimed the AG "rammed" the SM after seeing just the 20 second video from the Whaler, the fact that looking closely at the 3+ minute video from the AG shows very clearly that the Whaler had numerous chances to maintain course and not attack the AG will never be accepted by you because then you would have to say "oops, I was a little hasty."

I will continue to point out that it is easy to see that the AG was run down if you look closely at the long video from the AG, and I look forward to you shoving your shoe down your throat every time I do.

I am of the opinion only someone who refuses to look can't see the obvious, deliberate course corrections made by the Whaler Captain to facilitate the attack run on the AG that was the reason for the collision.

The fact that you are refuting it is one of the stronger arguments that I am right.

No it isn't. It is completely irrelevant to your rightness or wrongness.

Just like another who's first post in this thread claimed the AG "rammed" the SM after seeing just the 20 second video from the Whaler, the fact that looking closely at the 3+ minute video from the AG shows very clearly that the Whaler had numerous chances to maintain course and not attack the AG will never be accepted by you because then you would have to say "oops, I was a little hasty."

Debatable.

I will continue to point out that it is easy to see that the AG was run down if you look closely at the long video from the AG, and I look forward to you shoving your shoe down your throat every time I do.

That's not very nice. I don't debate to upset or humiliate the other person, I debate because I enjoy the exchange of ideas.

I am of the opinion only someone who refuses to look can't see the obvious, deliberate course corrections made by the Whaler Captain to facilitate the attack run on the AG that was the reason for the collision.

I am of the opposite opinion. Neither one of us can really prove it one way or another. We weren't there, and are just armchair quarterbacking. Nothing wrong with that, it's fun, but our opinions, no matter how strong, do not equal fact.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom