Breath control / Air consumption rate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Logic Theorist:
How am I supposed to say hi to all the fish?
Didn't you get the memo? Scuba divers are *cool*, so we're just supposed to do the little head-dip micro-bow thing. :D

If I breathe in and out slowly, I can go on 4 breaths per minute (got bored one night while trying to fall sleep so I watched the clock. Took 42 breaths in 10 minutes).

That only works if I'm very relaxed, though, and not changing my depth. Also, it's not really "instinctive" for me, so I have to try.

Here is a link to an article that talks about proper breathing for sports, including SCUBA diving. It also defines skip breathing.

http://www.viewzone.com/breathing.html

The method that I use is exactly the same as the Tai chi breath exercise Tom Mount, the president of the International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers, describes as follows:

breathing in for six to eight seconds, a natural two or three seconds pause, then exhaling for six to eight seconds. "While you're doing it," Mount says, “concentrate on breathing with your diaphragm. This is the way we were born breathing. But we lose it through bad habits and our cultural upbringing. You go to school and they say, 'Chest out, shoulders up, stomach in,' that destroys diaphragmatic breathing." Mount suggests this exercise: Lie on your back, putting one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach. As you breathe, make sure your stomach rises and not your chest. "Once you learn to breathe with your diaphragm," says Mount, "practice it all the time until it becomes a reflex."

According to the article, diaphragmatic breathing is the only way to get air into the lower third of your lungs, which is where two-thirds of the blood supply is. This breath technique will increase the efficiency of your lungs. It will enhance your ability to metabolize oxygen. Breathe with your diaphragm - and you'll improve your performance and endurance in any sport.

In doing so, I get great air consumption, feel very relaxed and don’t come out with a headache. :)

As you become more comfortable in the water, your air consumption will naturally decrease.

However, don't fall into the trap of thinking that someone who breathes less than you is a better diver than you.

Everyone is different.

CatFishBob:
However, don't fall into the trap of thinking that someone who breathes less than you is a better diver than you.
I have one buddy for whom I can say with conviction that anyone who breathes less is most certainly *not* a better diver. Chances are, they're dead. :rofl3:

Ts&m: Ok.

I just want to say thanks for this thread. Last night I was able to put to use some of the advice given here and (for the first time), I was not the first one to run out of air. At the end of our session (AOW pool session), I had about as much air left in my tank as everyone else.

Can't wait to put this advice to work in Catalina this weekend. :D

A lot of good advice. If I might add just two things; get streamlined and then frog kick and GLIDE. I find it to be much easier than constant flutter kicking.

paradicio:
I just want to say thanks for this thread. Last night I was able to put to use some of the advice given here and (for the first time), I was not the first one to run out of air. At the end of our session (AOW pool session), I had about as much air left in my tank as everyone else.

Can't wait to put this advice to work in Catalina this weekend. :D

I'm pretty sure these are questions everyone needs to ask at SOME point. None of this stuff is intuitive or we'd all be fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom