Breathing Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeolsen

Reaction score
Hola folks....I just got back from a dive and had a question regarding air consumption/usuage. I tend to blow thru a 3000 psi tank in a relatively short amount of time. While other divers can stay down a bit longer. A dive instructor once mentioned taking deep breaths and exhaling in 3 stages before taking another breath. I am usually at a deep of 40-50 ft and my bottom time is usally around 20-25 minutes. Another factor (not sure if this matters) is that I am diving in South Florida where the water tends to be alot warmer than other places.

My question would be how do I breath properly?

Secondly, I know about nitrox and would like to exclude any of these types of answers.

Thanks all for your input.

Lee

You will find your own rhythm for breathing with time, try not to think about it. It's important to breath normal to ensure you take full breaths and complete exhales. Thinking about your breathing can lead to other problems like C02 buildup and stress and regulator overbreathing.

--Matt

Decreased air consumption only comes with more diving. There is no trick to it....well staying in shape out of the water with cardio will help, but other than that....

You want to breath normally. You will find as you begin diving you are so excited just to be diving that you tend to breath faster but that will pass and you will learn to relax. The relaxation is the key. Don't try to skip breaths or hold your breath or that will lead to the CO2 build up that Matt was talking about and that is a serious headache that advil don't help...it also puts you at risk for blackout.

Chad

Don't feel bad. I can cook through an AL80 (3000~3200psi) in short order. Feeling kind of guilty for being the one to give the 1000psi sign & terminating the dive for the group. Although, I just bought my own reg & stuff, so am looking forward to gaining tons of experience this year.
Be Safe,
Larry

Our normal breathing pattern is inhale-exhale-pause that usually changes when we dive to inhale-pause-exhale. The best thing you can do to improve your air consumption is to try to breathe deeply and NORMALLY. DO NOT try to breathe in a pattern just take normal deep breaths(sic) Almost everyone has a more rapid breathing pattern when they're new to diving, don't worry about it. More experience will most likely improve your air consumption better than anything else you can do-Dive Safe-Dive Alot-M

1. RELAX!
2. Remind yourself every few minutes to RELAX!
3. Get your weighting correct and perfect your buoyancy so you don't "waste" alot of air by putting it into and dumping it out of your BC constantly.
4. RELAX!

theskull

Thanks all.....I hate being the one to say uh excuse me guys, I know your having a great time but I gotta go cause Im low on air. I must admit, I love getting into the water and "swimming with the fishes" but the whole experience is quite exhilarating and I hope thatr that feeling never goes away.

Anyways, thanks all for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Lee

When I first started diving, my consumption rate was much higher than I wanted it to be. I found myself consciously trying to conserve air by breathing shallow. Unfortunately, that's the wrong thing to do.

If you'll try to breathe deeply (don't hold it), breathe out completely and pause slightly, then take another deep breath, I think you'll find that your air consumption rate improves.

Also, relaxation and experience will do a lot to decrease the rate at which you use up your air. Dive often and enjoy!

Like everyone said, don't hold your breath. But here's a simple exercise to try:

Try to slow down your breath. See if you can count (in your mind) to 4 on an inhale. Pause a split second. Exhale, again make it a 4 second exhale.

Have fun,
David

Back
Top Bottom