Breathing Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
I pause a bit with full lungs, keeping my throat open, to get just a little more O2 / CO2 exchange in my lungs, and it helps. I would not suggest it to a newbie, but for someone who feel comfy in the dive - sure!
don

I'm a newbie and figured this one out on dive #7. Deep inhale, pause while exhaling very slightly, let it out naturally without forcing the bubbles out, take another inhale. I only had it going for a small fraction of the time though, so I still managed to suck an AL80 down to 500 psi in 25 mins....

Anything I should watch for with this? I assume that you probably don't want to be doing this when you're ascending from 20-30 fsw?

The method Don mentions is covered in a lot more than Rodales ... within the past year it has also been discussed in Dive Training and Alert Diver magazines. FWIW - he's spot on in how he describes it.

Proper breathing technique can, and should, be taught to new divers ... it's one of the most important skills not commonly taught in OW. And it not only will help you improve your air consumption, it'll help you improve your buoyancy skills as well.

Pausing with empty lungs isn't necessarily skip breathing ... but it isn't helpful either, since the purpose of the pause is to enhance the O2/CO2 exchange, which can only occur if you have something in your lungs to exchange. The pause should take place between the inhale and exhale, and should only be for a second or two.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Every beginner was problems with the buoyancy at first. But the more experience you gain the better you will be able to control. Mostly due to your breathing technique. After a while, you will find out for yourself what the best technique is. Just make sure it's not a lethal one. :p

DandyDon:
(1) Yes sir! My Bad.

(2) Oops #2. Thought I was in another forum

Time for me to go home. Thanks, don

To err is human, except when it comes to advising on how to breath under water - unacceptable. While I had some good points, I still made mistakes that weakened my arguement. I try to watch what I say when I'm tired, but I need to watch what I put in print more!

Worse, I was wrong to Jester. Sent him a PM apology before logging off, and today I see that he was nice enough to accept it. Thanks guy. :embarass:

So, Lee - now that I realize that you're new to Scuba: Relax, practice, be careful, and don't worry if your friends call you "Hoover." Many of us have been there - me, certainly! A buddy of mine went diving with me in Cozumel last month, and we were repeatedly having to share my air on the safety stop. We finally got him a couple of 100 cubic foot tanks, and he got a chance to feel more confident and start relaxing. We went to a local sink hole last weekend, and he's getting better. Much of it comes with time and practice.

A hundred dives from now, you'll have a hard time remembering this... :ditsy:

don

We've all experienced that. In my case, I almost had to dive with my buddy and a divemaster when I went to Cozumel because we both kept breathing our tanks down while everyone else had close to 1/2 a tank left. Like most people have mentioned, it will take diving often to perfect your breathing, and while pausing after inhaling WITH THE AIRWAY OPEN works for some, it doesn't work for me. I make a concious effort to relax and breathe slower and deeper, much like you do when you sleep. Oh, by the way, I also live in South Florida; the warm water actually helps....

Semper safe

Rick

Awhile back (err, 20+ yrs?), it was quite common to use the technique Don describes and I don't think it was new at that time. Some key points to remember -

Newer divers tend to breathe short and rapid - rather than long and slow. You don't want to take deep breaths (pulling more in your lungs than is normal/comfortable), but you do want to fully inhale *and* fully exhale. Once you can do this, try the following:

Breathe from your diaphram - there's plenty of online sources that tell you how to accomplish this.

For short changes in buoyancy, use your lungs. After you have accomplished daiphram breathing, you can breathe from the top 3rd to temporarily increase your buoyancy. I would think this is considered an advanced technique, but once you begin to get comfortable with "just diving", give it a try.

To bring this all home, here's what Tom Mount has to say:

Tom Mount, president of the International Association of Nitrox and Technical Divers, recommends doing a t-ai chi breath exercise: breathing in for six to eight seconds, a natural two or three seconds pause, then exhaling for six to eight seconds. "While you're doing it," Mount says, "concentrate on breathing with your diaphragm. This is the way we were born breathing. But we lose it through bad habits and our cultural upbringing. You go to school and they say, 'Chest out, shoulders up, stomach in,' that destroys diaphragmatic breathing." Mount suggests this exercise: Lie on your back, putting one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach. As you breathe, make sure your stomach rises and not your chest. "Once you learn to breathe with your diaphragm," says Mount, "practice it all the time until it becomes a reflex."

Diaphragmatic breathing is the only way to get air into the lower third of your lungs, which is where two-thirds of the blood supply is. This breath technique will increase the efficiency of your lungs. It will enhance your ability to metabolize oxygen. Breathe with your diaphragm - and you'll improve your performance and endurance in any sport.

leeolsen:
I am usually at a deep of 40-50 ft and my bottom time is usally around 20-25 minutes.

Lee

It is not too bad for a beginer, there are other factors that contribute to your heavy air-consumption rate. You just have to dive more and relax. look into also your:
- proper weight system
- a working regulator (properly serviced)
- diving condition (select the sites that you are comfortable with)
- keep yourself physically fit

Happy diving

love2godeep:
I have a feeling that something was lost in the translation.

I regularly exhale through my nose (through my mask of course). I've never had a problem with my mask leaking and my air consumption is above average :)

Now, that being said....I don't know that my air consumption is tied to me exhaling through my nose at all. I've played the trumpet and swam competitively most of my life. I spent hours doing breathing exercises while I was a teenager....building lung capacity and controlling my breathing from my diaphragm. I was very comfortable in the water before I ever started diving and was comfortable and relaxed diving almost from the beginning. I think these things have more to do with my air consumption....that and the fact that I'm female as well <smile>.

I think that what most folks say here is true....get comfortable, get weighted properly, reduce your drag, improve your trim....and have fun! You'll see that your dive times get longer and longer.

Peace,
Cathie

I get about 2 hours on a steel 100 at 60'. My secret? I alternate lungs. I breath with one while the other dangles shriveled and empty from its bronchial tube, then I switch them every other breath. I like to start out with my left, but you should start with whichever one you're more comfortable with. It takes some getting used to, but with just a little practice you'll be on your way to longer, more interesting dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom