Breathing Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeolsen:
...I am usually at a deep of 40-50 ft and my bottom time is usally around 20-25 minutes...Lee

When I, like most folks started diving I too went through a 80 CF tank in 30 minutes or less, now that same tank is lasting me 95 minutes.

How do you do that? Simple, follow these directions
1. Relax
2. Dive often
3. Check you weighting. A properly weighted diver uses less air. Most new divers are over weighted so they can get down. They have trouble getting down for two reasons:
a. They consciously or unconsciously take a nice big breath of air when they start down.
b. They are trying to go down, but without realizing it, they are kicking with their feet and /or sculling with their hands (been there, and still sometimes still catch myself doing it). When going down, cross your ankles or hold your feet. And keep your hands still. Almost any movement creates lift. A properly weighted diver will SLOWLY descend, not sink like a lead weight. You want just enough weight to stay at 15 feet with 500 PSI in the tank.
4. Learn to work you BC properly. On a recent dive my dive buddy was overweighed badly. Result, he was on the bottom, or the surface or on his way in between and used a lot of air by filling and dumping his BC, in fact he used 80 CF in 25 minutes. A large part of this was due to improper use of the BC. Just a brief spurt of air and then WAIT for 30-45 seconds for it to take effect. Now this will feel more like a minute or two. I don't know why the air takes a while to take effect, but it does. Think of all the breaths you are wasting when you put air in your bc.
5. Dive often. Yes I am repeating that because it is the most important.
6. Check you trim. Are you swimming level, head up or head down.
7. Check you dangles. Streamline yourself.
8. SLOW down. This is not a race. Relax, and take your time. Make slow deliberate movements. Motor around at speed slow, not 30 knots as many of us try to do when we first start.
9. Bicycle, run, swim, or engage in other vigorous aerobic activity for at least 30 minutes :wink: . But do some sort of aerobic exercise.
10. Watch your weight, diet and hydration, in short be physically fit.
11. Take the stairs instead of the elevator and walk at a brisk pace.
12. Dive often. I prescribe a minimum of once a week.

Don't worry about being the one to call the dive because of air. We all were there when we started. Your buddies know you are new and by agreeing to dive with you, they know what to expect on air. But if you do the above, you will soon be down there for an hour or more.

Hope this helps. Enjoy the diving.

My air consumption sucked at first. Or at least I sucked all the air out really fast. Now at the end of the second dive season for me I can easily go to 70 feet on a shore dive and hang out between 50-70 feet for an hour.

A lot of it is also (as was mentioned) the fact that my bouyancy control has gotten a lot better with practice and I am just not wasting nearly as much air in my BC as I used to.

Hiyya. I'm very new to diving and have the exact same problem. I was talking to a guide in Mexico who suggested I thorougly de-fog my mask before diving and then exhale through my nose instead of through my reg. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I will... I am sure it's going to help a lot!

Jester:
If you'll try to breathe deeply (don't hold it), breathe out completely and pause slightly, then take another deep breath, I think you'll find that your air consumption rate improves.

:nonono: Whoa there, Jester! That's "Skip Breathing" - a real No-No, as I understand it all!

yoda4x4:
Like everyone said, don't hold your breath. But here's a simple exercise to try:

Try to slow down your breath. See if you can count (in your mind) to 4 on an inhale. Pause a split second. Exhale, again make it a 4 second exhale.

:57: Yep - any pausing should be done with full lungs, not empty - so that osmosis will have more time to exchange O2 for CO2. Some instructors will say to pause for a few seconds, keeping the airway open!

cineprep:
Hiyya. I'm very new to diving and have the exact same problem. I was talking to a guide in Mexico who suggested I thorougly de-fog my mask before diving and then exhale through my nose instead of through my reg. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I will... I am sure it's going to help a lot!

:frown3: Forget that! You want a good seal on a mask, not a bubbly. Some misunderstanding here!! :yippie17:

don
:54:

DandyDon:
:nonono: Whoa there, Jester! That's "Skip Breathing" - a real No-No, as I understand it all!

I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion based on the idea of taking a deep breath, exhaling completely and pausing for a moment (like maybe a second). This procedure can't hurt you. Taking a deep breath and holding it CAN hurt you.

cineprep:
Nope.. no misunderstanding... I intend to try it.

It works and I have done for my entire diving life. When I wear my Cressi FF I'll spit the reg out and breathe through my nose. OK I don't spit it out but all I do is open my mouth and it's easy to breathe through your nose.

And one minor detail, DON'T HOLD YOUR BREATH OR SKIP BREATHE. Just get relaxed and breathe nice and even.

Gary D.

Jester:
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion based on the idea of taking a deep breath, exhaling completely and pausing for a moment (like maybe a second). This procedure can't hurt you. Taking a deep breath and holding it CAN hurt you.

Above water - that's normal breathing. Below water - that can lead to headaches, even blackouts. (Maybe I was wrong about that being called Skip Breathing - which I'll come back to here)

And I did not say "deep breath and hold it!! Rather, I clearly said "Keeping the airway open."

DandyDon:
Yep - any pausing should be done with full lungs, not empty - so that osmosis will have more time to exchange O2 for CO2. Some instructors will say to pause for a few seconds, keeping the airway open!

And here's where I get that...

Rondales magazine has its own agenda - profitable business and all, but I think they do much to promote the sport and industry. This article covered efficient breathing...

http://www.scubadiving.com/article/0,7424,3-39-42-71-3-4X6-3,00.html

From that article in particular... (emphasis mine)

Exhale completely. This reduces the "dead air" volume and eliminates as much carbon dioxide as possible, thus delaying the urge to take another breath.

Pause after inhaling. Use your diaphragm to hold air in your lungs a few extra seconds while keeping your throat open. This allows even more time for gas exchange. Your breathing pattern should be: Exhale, inhale, pause. Exhale, inhale, pause.

Note: Every time we describe this breathing pattern, someone writes us, "Isn't this skip breathing?" It's not. Skip breathing involves holding your breath by closing your epiglottis (like when you grunt) and holding it for much longer. Closing your throat creates a closed air space that is vulnerable to embolism if you ascend. Keeping your throat open avoids that risk.

Besides, skip breathing doesn't work. Holding your breath too long means retaining too much carbon dioxide, triggering the urge to breathe sooner than necessary and resulting in rapid shallow breathing. The net result: You use more air by skip breathing, not less.

I pause a bit with full lungs, keeping my throat open, to get just a little more O2 / CO2 exchange in my lungs, and it helps. I would not suggest it to a newbie, but for someone who feel comfy in the dive - sure!

don

1. You agree that I did not suggest anything remotely close to "skip breathing"

2. You wouldn't suggest your technique to a newbie (although you suggested it in the New2Scuba area).

3. Your method is endorsed by Rodale's (no comment).

Ciao!

Jester:
1. You agree that I did not suggest anything remotely close to "skip breathing"

2. You wouldn't suggest your technique to a newbie (although you suggested it in the New2Scuba area).

3. Your method is endorsed by Rodale's (no comment).

Ciao!

(1) Yes sir! My Bad.

(2) Oops #2. Thought I was in another forum

Time for me to go home. Thanks, don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom