Bridge to the u/w cement plant at Mansfield

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PeppermintPaddi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Talked to a diver today who thought the bridge (on the road to the cement plant) at Mansfield was pretty much straight off the boat ramp and ought to be at about 80 feet. Another one of those cool things that's getting easier to get to? Anyone have a definite location?

Um, no idea, but if you find more information PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put it up!!!

Wow, that's the first I've heard of this bridge and would like to know more about it.

Last November (I think) K-valve and I decided to just head straight out from the boat ramp at Mansfield on the bottom, using up an 800 foot reel in the process. Visibility was crappy till we broke through to the river bed at 150 feet, where we had 20+ foot visibility in all directions Horizontally. Didn't see a bridge, but if there is one, it'd probably be crossing the river bed is my best guess.

Please post if you know more...

I too have heard talk of a concrete bridge intact that has been dove in the past over in that area......I hope someone with more data chims in.

Wrong side of the dam - nevermind I was looking at the first photo only

Lets try this shot of the upstream side of the dam, Mansfield Dam Construction, ca. 1940 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!. I don't see a bridge, maybe its already submerged or hasn't been built yet, but I doubt it.

Edit, looked at most of the photos in the collection and there was not a bridge upstream of the dam prior to construction. The above link is the best shot of the upstream side of the dam prior to the lake filling. I don't think that there is a bridge upstream of the dam. It should be noted that these are not all of the photos LCRA has of the construction of Mansfield. It was mentioned that Dr. Tipton donated all his photos to LCRA and only a few have been uploaded.

Last edited:
Last edited:
These are some great photos of the river and dam construction. We have been to Shaker Plant on several charters and have it marked on the GPS. If anyone is interested in doing an exploration dive to the area, we can put together a charter. Divers have seen the large monolith that appears to be part of the plant, along with large timbers and other construction equipment remains.

Robert
Lake Travis Scuba
Welcome to Lake Travis Scuba

The way he described it the bridge was perpendicular to the boat ramp, as was the road that ran down to the cement plant.

Thanks Jeff. There's a lot of good pics of the building process in there - from the very beginning.
Proposed Site for Mansfield Dam, 1937 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Looks like there were lots of 'roads'. Can't tell about a bridge.
Mansfield Dam Construction, 1937 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

My best guess is that your "bridge" crosses a drainage ditch cut to handle runoff from the hill.

Back
Top Bottom