Bridge to the u/w cement plant at Mansfield

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I appreciate the descriptions, what I really need is the purpose of the facility so I know what to look for in the photos.

BTW, I asked Jean if she had the site plans in her archives and she will get back in touch on Thursday or Friday.

More specifically, you can get to the Jungle Gym by going North across the swimming cove at Masfield Park, then submerge and head aound 50' North of the cove, b/w 30/50' depth, while looking for an orange line running from the edge of the wall down to the jungle gym.

I marked the line w/ a white cookie and there is a sign in slate at the bottom of the line attached to the Jungle Gym.

Skeletons and other halloween decorations are still there. Very cool dive...

Thanks for this information! I am glad there is a line leading to it now. Is it still pretty hard to scale down to get to the water at the cove with the lake being so low? It looks like there is a bunch of new areas to park since I was there last at the dam.

I've no idea of the actual purpose of the Jungle Gym other than it looks like several of the towers in the pics. One of the base legs is also significantly broken, which makes me wonder if it wasn't "dumped" or dropped off a higher ledge when it's original purpose was complete.
There would be nothing odd about it if it were in line w/ the Shaker Plant tramway. In fact, however, it lies pretty far from other know construction

I appreciate the descriptions, what I really need is the purpose of the facility so I know what to look for in the photos.

BTW, I asked Jean if she had the site plans in her archives and she will get back in touch on Thursday or Friday.

I've no idea of the actual purpose of the Jungle Gym other than it looks like several of the towers in the pics. One of the base legs is also significantly broken, which makes me wonder if it wasn't "dumped" or dropped off a higher ledge when it's original purpose was complete.
There would be nothing odd about it if it were in line w/ the Shaker Plant tramway. In fact, however, it lies pretty far from other know construction

Thanks Zinc, we will have to look at the photos from '40 and '41 if that is the case.

Does anyone know if there is anything left of the bridge by windy point?

sometimesisland.jpg

Does anyone know if there is anything left of the bridge by windy point?

No, but now that I know what to look for, I will see if there is a photo of it in the LCRA Archives.

Nice map btw. I will have to get me one of those.

I have been down there and nothing of structure to report.

Dove off the "Giant Stride" with Robert (Lake Travis Scuba) this past weekend. Did not do any shore diving due to water levels. You would either have to scale down cliffs or hike a long way to the water. Robert had a lot of historical photos of the lake on the boat. One photo he had was incredible, of Starnes Island. As we were heading toward it, the picture of Starnes as a hill with farm land around it matched up perfectly perspective wise with the direction we were headed which showed you what the terrain would look like underwater. We also dove the "Shaker Plant" on "Sometimes Islands". Those monoliths are in about 20 feet of water with timbers and cement items all along the ledge to the river channel. Robert has a very nice set up for diving and he is a great guy, and very knowledgeable about the history of the lake.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom