Bring back the R190

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just ordered a few diaphragm covers for the 109 from scubapro. They still have them, and exhaust tees. Availability seems to be sporadic, though.

When springs worn out, do they get stiffer? If they do, that may explain higher cracking force to open the valve? Between the R108 and R109, which one is better to keep? R108 has more parts to keep, (insert, washer, nut) while the R109 (unbalanced) is almost maintenance free as long as the poppet doesn't wear out. Did SP ever make metal poppets for the R109? That would be ultimate bullet proof design.

Last edited:
SP did make metal poppets for the 109, but they still had a plastic body; the only metal part was the stem into the balance chamber. The current s-wing poppet works fine; the seats and balance chamber o-rings are easily replaceable.

I have a couple of 109's that were upgraded to 156's. I also have a 108 and a set of 190's.
Until now, I've relegated them to shallow water duty opting for Apex while diving anything over 100fsw instead.
Does anyone use the above mentioned SP regs for deep diving?
I do manage to get myself upside down for minutes at a time trying to get decent photos.
How well will these regs deliver gas totally inverted.
I'm thiking about passing the Apeks onto a friend as they breathe a little too wet for my liking.

Thanks for the offer Jim.
I have a few Mk2/ 190's myself.
I'm thankful I live in Fla where I don't need coldwater regs.
The last time I dived cold water was at Guppy Gulch up in your neck of the woods.
40 degrees at the surface and I was miserable.

Back
Top Bottom