Bring own dive gear on cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be going on a cruise to Grand Caymon, Cozumel in Feb. Looking for advice if I should bring my own gear(not weight tanks) or use dive operations. My main concern is it worth the extra hassel to have gear you know. I plan to dive at three ports. Any experiance and help would be greatful.

Thanks in advance,

imfreeagle

I took my own gear minus tank/wts./knife,,had no problems.

I went on a cruise and took my gear. At each port, I went with a local dive operator and they got us back to the boat in time for it to leave. If I did not have a balcony room, I do not think I could have dried out my gear. Having said that, I really appreciated having my own, familiar gear.

The only other thing I can tell you is that I had my dive knife packed with my bc. When I got on, they took my knife (I got it back at the end of the cruise.)

If I am on a cruise and dive at three ports, I would only bring my own mask, fins, regulators, and dive computers. I would rent the BC and probably skip the renting the wet suit (I live in cold weather area). I rather have my own every things, but the hassle to maintain a wet BC and a wet suit on the cruise is not worth it.
On the other hand, if I dive at one resort, I would bring every thing with me since many of the shop has the checked in room and even dry it for you.
Enjoy the dives and the cruise.

Unless your diving a lot hauling all your gear is a pain. If it were me and only planned to do 2 or 3 dives, I would take my mask, dive skin, reg and computer and rent the BC and wetsuit (if you need it, a fleece is all I need). If your weighted properly, there is not too much that can go wrong with a BC that can't be delt with, the same can't be said for your regs. I think I would also add my booties to the list, not that big and if the fins are not exactly right they would help.

Wife and I took all of our own gear on our cruise. We were staying in an oceanview cabin. We just dryed everything in the shower. :)

Would you rather have your own gear with known maintenance and that you know intimately or whatever is available from a rental pool in what may be a third world country?

I have seen rental offerings that were impressive and others that scared the crap out of me. Are you feeling lucky?

Pete

We tend to identify third world countries as being higher risk but should not extrapolate that sentiment into presuming that rentals in the industrial world will be trouble free. I've had both good and bad experiences in the third world, but the most problematic regulator was rented on Maui.
It made buying my own an easy decision.

My wife and I have done lost of cruises (I dive she doesn't) I have always brought my own gear on cruises and resorts. As soon as I get on the boat I usually hang my wetsuit and bcd on a hanger (only 1 wetsuit under bcd) and then I drape my reg and console over the hook. My fins, boots and other stuff I usually put on the top shelf (nothing else usualy goes there) the bag folds up nice and small so there's no worries. Trust me it makes more sense to take stuff you know the history of (like others have pointed out)

Get a BPW

BPW... on a cruise ship. I'll bet they never seen one of them gizmos before. :rofl3: Prolly think you're alQueda.

If you do take your wetsuit, I suggest buying one of the extra large zip lock bags for the trip home. These are great for packing the not quite dry wetsuits so your luggage and other belongings don't get the funk.

If you do take your wetsuit, I suggest buying one of the extra large zip lock bags for the trip home. These are great for packing the not quite dry wetsuits so your luggage and other belongings don't get the funk.

I use "wet and funky" as a security feature. The expensive/delicate stuff goes in carry-on. Everything else gets stuffed into the mesh wheel-bag.

Nobody ever stole anything that smells like a wet dog.

Terru

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom