Bring own dive gear on cruise?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We went on cruise last winter. I took all my gear in an old beat up suit case that I use. The old suit case does not have all over it "steal me I am dive gear". I use it for my travels. There was no problems, hung gear in shower to dry. Another couple brought their weights also, boy did they have fun carrying there gear. Leave the heavy stuff at home, especially if you are flying to the cruise. We drove so things were not as bad.

Take your own. It's worth it the be familiar with your equipment, espeically if you have a balcony room to dry it. Also, I don't want to fully recommend this but I will say that on every cruise but one we have always used dive ops other than what the cruise excursion is using. Of course you do run the risk of having the the dive boat break down and not get back to the ship before it leaves but on the other hand, I would rather pay a little more and not be rushed or get stuck on a cattle boat (once again my opinion). I realize this is slightly off topic but it is worth checking into.

I have always brought my own gear on my cruises. But I have never taken a wetsuit so the drying was not a big deal rinse in shower and let it dry there as well. I also agree with booking your own dives. I have never had a problem and unlike what they said I always pay much less than what the cruise ship charges. Most of the time you can also dive your own profile so you have a little more freedom in your dives so you are not rushed if you are taking pics etc.

having done the cruise/dive combo many times, here is my planning strategy:

i only bring my BC if i have a balcony. it gets seriously STINKY!!!!!!!! after a couple days of diving in a small cabin.

i ALWAYS bring my regulator, (2) masks, snorkel, skin or 1mm wetsuit

i bring boots/open heel fins if im doing several days of diving

i bring full foot fins if i am only diving for 1 day

Diving while cruising is a great way to get a quick taste of several locations. Scout them out to know where to go back for a week or two.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom