Bryan Pennington - Vintage Double Hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm making tentative plans to drive from Orlando to this event; two days of driving Wednesday and Thursday; dive Gilboa Friday; all day hang out at White Star on Saturday, and return on Sunday and Monday. I'm trying to entice a dive buddy to share the driving, but could probably fit at least one more. So if there is anyone from Central / North Florida; Atlanta / Georgia; Knoxville / TN that would like to join and share the driving let me know.

Sitkadiver from Alaska and H2O Doc from Seattle will be there.

I'll be bring a some amount of gear to swap/sell/raise bail money etc.......

Because we live in the Pacific Northwest and we're soo far from the equator, there isn't much centrifugal force pulling the sea water up, away form the bottom. That's why we all dive the 300 and 400 foot tables in Alaska - so, a nice shallow, fresh water quarry dive will be nice. :)

I'll be there, Gilboa on Friday, White star on Saturday. For those traveling from afar [or desiring a bit of luxury in N.W. Ohio], there is a top quality hotel in Findlay, OH, it is called the Hancock Hotel and it is owned by Marathon Oil Co. A wonderful steakhouse [Mancy's] is on the ground floor.

What is the H2O temperature at White Star at the end of August?

What is the H2O temperature at White Star at the end of August?
Surface temps should be in the mid-70s, White Star is approximately 50' deep [with a conveyor shaft down to about 75'] bottom temps should be mid-50s in August. Gilboa is considerably colder due to its depth. I was there last week and it was 72 on the surface and about 50 at 45', 47 at 60' and there I stopped descending.

You can dive dry, but vintage style is usually wet, 5mm farmer john with jacket and a hood should be enough.

Surface temps should be in the mid-70s, White Star is approximately 50' deep [with a conveyor shaft down to about 75'] bottom temps should be mid-50s in August. Gilboa is considerably colder due to its depth. I was there last week and it was 72 on the surface and about 50 at 45', 47 at 60' and there I stopped descending.

You can dive dry, but vintage style is usually wet, 5mm farmer john with jacket and a hood should be enough.
Bryan modernized my Royal Aquamaster to a Phoenix RAM; since my regulator is no longer vintage, I think I'll pass on vintage exposure protection at Gilboa at least!

David,

I likely will only make White Star on Saturday.

I only own a 2.5mm and 5mm wet suit these days. I paddle around 25' or above the thermocline where some visibility remains after most divers rocket to the bottom at 45' and kick it up :(

The rocks at 20' - 25' look the same as rocks at 45' so these days I see no reason to go down there and freeze plus if taking photos up in the later column is always clearer. More bluegills and fish usually above the thermocline too......

Staying shallow I also only dive locally wiht smaller 71.2 old steel tank or a 65 cu. ft. aluminum making t easy on my back. Still can get an hour or so and at that point I'm ready to come up and eat, take a break, etc.

That said if you're dying to see an old cabin cruiser, Frito Lay truck, school bus or other things placed on the 45' bottom go for it !

Just one old guy's opinion.

Still happy blowing bubbles anywhere within comfort and reason :)

David Haas

DaveyDoubleHose.jpg

@David Haas I have a week long bucket list trip to God's Pocket in BC in mid-September, so my plan is to do the Friday dives in Gilboa, at a minimum, in a dry suit and modern gear and modern camera. I want to try out dry suit gloves vs wet suit gloves on the camera and gear, and in general just get another couple of dives in the dry suit before the BC trip

It sounds like this will be very well attended. The swap meet may be the best ever. Just remember it is "supposed" to be vintage gear only
:D
. So dont bring your brand new mares mask to sell. I am going to be ordering the memorial shirts in the next few days so if you have not told me you want to buy one then you may not be able to as I wont make a lot of extras. Email me if you want one or two. I am also making several for free for Bryan's family. Email me if you have not already if you want one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom