BSAC on “Hogarthian rigging” and “Primary take” for “out of gas response”

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks. I've done SSI AOW + Rescue, with hog loop set up where I did OOAs with my hog loop setup. Those are recognised courses.

But SSI AOW is not ALWAYS hog loop. That's the problem. They so far at least have refused to specify exactly what they will accept. SSI AOW for example could be conventional octo.

The entire thing is vague, very poorly thought out and the clarifications in some cases directly conflict with their own instructor manual.

Edit:- for more specifics its FAR better to follow the official thread:
http://www.bsacforum.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=21959

That is if you have some hours to spare.

But SSI AOW is not ALWAYS hog loop. That's the problem. They so far at least have refused to specify exactly what they will accept. SSI AOW for example could be conventional octo.

From my limited understanding of SSI, I assume conventional octo would be the norm by far. I have never seen an SSI instructor in a hog loop. I have dived with two SSI course directors (or whatever their name for that position is), including one who was doing instructor training at the time (which I watched for a while), and I never saw any hint of hog looping. (I was not myself using it then.)

I am not familiar with all of those few agencies listed, but I cannot name one that officially teaches hog looping. PADI does not specify how it should be done, so hog looping would be acceptable, but that would be an individual instructor decision, as I assume was the case with Saspotato's instruction.

but I cannot name one that officially teaches hog looping.

GUE being the only one, and if you include their entry level course that nobody seems to have done!

PADI does not specify how it should be done, so hog looping would be acceptable, but that would be an individual instructor decision, as I assume was the case with Saspotato's instruction.

That's how most, probably all the other main agencies in the world now EXCEPT BSAC handle it. Its perfectly acceptable to teach any PADI course with a long hose/loop and so on while complying with standards and i would assume SSI,SDI and the others.

Originally Posted by boulderjohn View Post
but I cannot name one that officially teaches hog looping.
GUE being the only one, and if you include their entry level course that nobody seems to have done!
I was referring to the list of BSA-approved agencies. GUE does not appear on that list.

That's how most, probably all the other main agencies in the world now EXCEPT BSAC handle it. Its perfectly acceptable to teach any PADI course with a long hose/loop and so on while complying with standards and i would assume SSI,SDI and the others.

Some agencies teach Hog looping as a normal part of their process. Those that I know of are UTD and NSS-CDS, and neither is on the list. I assume NACD teaches it as well, but they are not on the list, either. I was taught hog looping in my TDI (also not on the list) courses, but I don't know if that is official TDI or instructor decision.

I am not familiar with all of those few agencies listed, but I cannot name one that officially teaches hog looping.

NAUI Tech uses a "hog looping" standard for OC technical diving.

I expect that NAUI is going to be the RSTC agency which is closest to officially recognizing/encouraging hog looping in Rec OW courses. They definitely allow their instructors the latitude to teach that way.

I expect that NAUI is going to be the RSTC agency which is closest to officially recognizing/encouraging hog looping in Rec OW courses. They definitely allow their instructors the latitude to teach that way.

I'm guessing you mean when and if they join the RSTC, which some SB members seem to think will happen when snowballs exist in Hades. :idk:

Amen to this. I have recently had some training with a NAUI instructor that not only used the hog hose setup, but advocated for it's use. It was nice to see and learn about from him.

NAUI prefers to not be an RSTC member, and (as far as I know) there is nothing afoot that will change that.

I was taught hog looping in my TDI (also not on the list) courses, but I don't know if that is official TDI or instructor decision.

TDI is instructor discretion (like almost every other agency!). Its where i initially was (formerly) taught it.

Most agencies allow the instructor to decide especially at an early level. Only one specifically bans it now....

NAUI prefers to not be an RSTC member, and (as far as I know) there is nothing afoot that will change that.

they're ruining my ability to just refer to recreational training agencies as RSTC agencies... can't they just join the RSTC to make it simple?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom