Buddy breathing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could press both at the same time but that would risk rapid ascent due to the faster rate of filling then breathing and cause a lot of air loss. Not to mention DCS potential, lung expansion injury. But you are right why would I need to do this?

:2ar15smil Warning Warning this thread may have been highjacked Warning Warning:2ar15smil

My BC and most others ive tried can empty far faster than they fill to the extent that if you hold down inflate and deflate at the same time underwater you'll actually become more negative and the jacket will eventually empty.

No idea if wings exhibit the same properties though.

GDI:
:2ar15smil Warning Warning this thread may have been highjacked Warning Warning:2ar15smil
OK - lets try and get it back on track. Could you buddybreath from an LP inflator? :D

Stephen Ash:
1.He's not re-breathing...he does not exhale into the BC...he only inhales.
2.He's out of air...he won't get any by pressing the inflator button...he is pressing the deflator button. He is getting air that already is in the BC...well...if there was air in the bladder when he went OOA in the cylinder.
3.There is nothing wrong with the air in the bladder...it's the same air that was in the cylinder...it doesn't go 'stale'.

It is not a technique that I would recommend. Remember...As you ascend...doing a CESA...if you need to get a breath you probably will get a little from your cylinder as the ambient pressure decreases.

There is another skill where you press both the inflator and deflator buttons to get air...but that's another deal...for a different problem...

I should add...with no buttons depressed he can not exhale into the oral inflator. He will have to remove his mouth to exhale and the re-insert the oral inflator...press the deflator button...use his tongue as a splash guard...and hope that he will get some air from his BC.

...again, not something that I would recommend.

Oh yah...GDI...congrats on the successful hijack!

Stephen

To get air by pressing both inflator and deflator buttons you have to have air in the cylinder...so it is not an option if you are out of air. However, if you're the donor to an OOA buddy...and your alternate is not working...and you have initiated buddy breathing...and your buddy won't give back the primary...or you have just handed it off and your bud is hooving like there is no tommorrow...you could use this skill to get air for yourself while you wait for him to catch his breath.

Stephen

Stephen Ash:
To get air by pressing both inflator and deflator buttons you have to have air in the cylinder...so it is not an option if you are out of air. However, if you're the donor to an OOA buddy...and your alternate is not working...and you have initiated buddy breathing...and your buddy won't give back the primary...or you have just handed it off and your bud is hooving like there is no tommorrow...you could use this skill to get air for yourself while you wait for him to catch his breath.

Stephen

Now that was an elegant way to get the thread back on track!!

Xanthro

Over 330 replies to this thread? Amazing!
I had no idea people were so passionate for and against buddy breathing.

Interesting arguments going on though...

Mike Veitch:
Over 330 replies to this thread? Amazing!
I had no idea people were so passionate for and against buddy breathing.

Interesting arguments going on though...
I must admit - I also never realized that some people were so against it! I always presumed that as it was a extra way that I could save my own or someone elses life it was a no-brainer. It's been used for years - way before BCD's and octo's existed - so I always thought of it as one of the most tried and tested skills in scuba. Obviously not everyone feels the same way - especially seeing as they think it can kill you! I guess it's how you look at it.

opiniongirl:
bejeezers..it's been a rough day for opiniongirl - apparently my sense of humor isn't popular...

I still love you.

H2Andy:
exactly. this, by the way, is precisely what i am mentally
prepared for. i EXPECT either my buddy or someone out of
nowhere to go for the reg i am using.

that's his or hers to have.

MY reg is bungied around my neck, about two inches from my
mouth.

Amen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom